Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word XP/Acrobat 5.0.5: Insufficient Memory Message (Word XP)

While using Word XP (with Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5), when creating a PDF using PDFMaker 5.0 the message "Word has insufficient memory. You will not be able to undo this action once it is completed. Do you want to continue?" appears _many_ times during the (successful) creation of the file. This increases the time it takes to generate the PDF, and is a general nuisance. Posts on Adobe's message board lead me to believe that this is a very commonly observed problem, but no one has a workaround other than to say that it didn't happen with Word 2000 and that it doesn't happen with Acrobat 6. Some posts imply that the problem lies with Word XP not clearing a buffer when running batch jobs.

Does anyone have a workaround?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word XP/Acrobat 5.0.5: Insufficient Memory Message (Word XP)

Is it possible to turn off application alerts before running these macros?

The following air-code to do this might get you started. Give this a test and let us know how you get on. I would certainly like to know if it works.
    The ConvertTOPDF is the macro that I am guessing is used by the Acrobat Addin to do the conversion

Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsNone
    Call ConvertToPDF
    Application.DisplayAlerts = wdAlertsAll
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Re: Word XP/Acrobat 5.0.5: Insufficient Memory Message (Word XP)

> Some posts imply that the problem lies with Word XP not clearing a buffer when running batch jobs.

I suspect this is true. If I write a macro that performs several very large Replace operations in a row, I sometimes get this message. it's the Undo buffer that is the problem. Not sure there's anything you can do about it if you have a big document.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word XP/Acrobat 5.0.5: Insufficient Memory Mes

Much thanks to both responders! I tried Andrew's suggestion and (as usual) it worked.

Because other important messages might be triggered during PDF creation, I'm suggesting to my coworkers that we follow this routine: first do one PDF build with the annoying messages being displayed; but for subsequent PDF generation following minor tweaks to the Word source documents, run the Application.DisplayAlerts=wdAlertsNone macro first.