New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003: 'What's this?' helpfunction vanished (2003)

Not sure this is the right place to ask but...

It seems that the 'What's this?' Helpfunction has been deleted alltogether from Office System 2003. It was available in previous versions from 1) the Help-menu, 2) Shift+F1 and 3) from a right mousebutton click in dialogues. It popped up a little pointer that one used to click any object or menu-item and provided a short helpfull explanation. I've always found it a very useful feature and I'm amazed it's gone.

Frankly, I can't believe it really is gone (the User Interface of Windows XP and Office 2003 are now incompatible on this point) and I'm frantically looking for a way to turn it on...

Is there anyone out there more knowledgable who is willing to shed some light on this?
    Bart.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003: 'What's this?' helpfunction vanished (2003)

Bart--

F1 should display Help in the Task Pane. F6 should switch between the Help Taskpane and the Active Application. Tab selects the next Help item. Shift + Tab the previous item. Enter performs the action selected for the item.Many Help topics use hidden text and expandable hyperlinks to show or hide additional information within the topics. This way, you don't have to jump to a different Help topic to see information, and the content is easy to scan. You can use the expandable hyperlinks one at a time, or use Show All or Hide All to open or close all of the expandable hyperlinks in the topic.The rest are below.This should be a summary of all the Office Help 2003 Systems shortcuts. It is indeed present. Let me know if you're having any trouble accessing it:

Hyperlinks with Keyboard Shortcuts for Office 2003 Systems Help

You should be able to show it also with: [b]Tools>Customize>Rt. Click Type a Question for Help on Menu bar>Select or deselect Show Ask A Question Box to show or hide it. Note If you are hiding the Type a question for help box, it will still display until after you close the Customize dialog box.

See:

Troubleshoote Help in Office 2003

Getting Help While You Work

The Office Assistant

Icons in the Search Result Task Pane

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SBMP,

Thanks for the quick response.
    But all the links you provide do tell me what I already found: there are several ways to get at helpinfo, and they all work.
    The point is that there was another way in previous versions of Office but isn't available anymore in 2003.

If you have a Word 2002 available, in the menu pick : 'Help, What's This?'. That is the one I'm after.

Either I'm missing something altogether, or it's just not there anymore. And I cannot find any mention of it in the links you provided.
    Bart.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry--now I understand. I searched for it also and didn't find it or any explanations on the web or on MS's Office site. They have beefed up their tutorials and Office 2003 and are showcasing it in talks and meetings--we had them at a users group on Office 2003 a couple weeks ago. You might try contacting them --often when they are promoting a cash cow like Office they reach out more means to email them and you could probably get a straight answer--if I run into someone from there soon--I'll try to get one.

SMBP