New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Email Security Update (OL2K)

Please Help. I was trying to push out some updates with a new Patch program and I pushed Office SP2. I didn't know it had the Email Security update in it! I have about 25 users and now our macro buttons don't work. I read on Sue Mosher's site that the only real fix is to uninstall office, run the cleaner tool, then reinstall Office (minus the SP2). I wanted to run this all by you guys before biting the bullet. We have a mix of 98, 2000 and XP machines. Any alternatives, gotchas?

Thanks

Re: Outlook Email Security Update (OL2K)

The usual symptoms involve alert dialogs.... Can you describe what you mean by the macro buttons not working? Could it simply be that the patch reset macro security to High and that has to be reset to Medium through the menus (or in the registry, as the case may be)?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried resetting the security settings (even to low), I tried running the macros manually and nothing. We tried a couple of the other machines and they don't work either. I had (at one point in this horrible nightmare) some error messages. Saying I didn't enable macro's which I never got the question to do it when I fired up VB Editor. Didn't have permission, etc. I tried many things and don't remember everything, but during my panic I searched google and it basically led me to believe that I had installed the OL Email Security Patch When I installed Office SP2. I tried the two dll replacement fix and it seemed to work on my machine but it's been exhibiting some not quite normal behaviour so I wasn't keen on trying it officewide.

Thanks

Just as a doublecheck, can you run the macros manually using Alt+F8? Or by opening the VB Editor, clicking in the macro, and using F5 (run)? If so, maybe it's just (!!) a toolbar problem.

If it's a COM Add-in, and you cannot debug in the above manner, I believe you can stop Office from requiring a digital certificate from the security dialog in Word. It's all rather muddled in the dark recesses of my mind, but those are the things I would check next.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did try to manually run them in the vb editor that's when I first got the error about the macros weren't started (or something along those lines) I then tried to make my own certificate, attach them to the macros, lower the security to LOW and still not working. My google on the error led me to believe that when I did the Office SP2 for 2000 I inadvertantly applied the OL Email Security patch which kills your ability to run macros. I feel that now my only solution is to completely uninstall Office, run the clean tool then reinstall. On 25 computers. yech.

Thanks

The patch does not kill your ability to run macros, honest. I ran unsigned macros with the patch for at least 9 months. I did get annoying messages when my macros accessed address fields in a message or the address book, and there is an incredibly annoying "delay dialog" when automating a send from Word. But you should be able to run macros, signed or not.

Any chance it's a Policy object in the registry?