Lounger
    Thanks

Driver locations for Autoexec.bat & config.sys

I've look in the System Info applet & looked _for_ a log file but I can't seem to find anything that shows how my CD-ROM, mouse, & sound card are initiated. I would like to set up my autoexec.bat & config.sys so that I'll have support for all these whenever I reboot into DOS-mode from the shut-down dialog. Am I looking in the wrong places or did I just miss it?

Thanks,
    malkor

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Driver locations for Autoexec.bat & config.sys

I don't think you'll find anything in Windows that will tell you the answer. If you want mouse, CD and sound card in true-DOS, then you will have to add the appropriate driver and executable "calls" in the Config.Sys and Autoexec.Bat yourself. Each hardware device depends on the driver or software pertinent to the indivudual device. If you don't already know what those are, you'll have to do a little digging into the documentation, diskettes or web sites for the devices for instructions on how to load DOS instructions.

I can give you some "generic" drivers that will probably help with the CD and mouse, but the sound card is a lot more specific. Come back if you want more help.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Driver locations for Autoexec.bat & config.sys

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 26-Sep-03 16:39. Just tweakin' them ol' url tags...)</P>Ideally, if you only want the drivers loaded for true DOS and not for Windows sessions, then you should consider the 'dosstart.bat' file and not the autoexec.bat file. The autoexec.bat file will start with Windows and DOS, while the dosstart.bat file, well, only starts with true DOS.

If you search your disk for "mouse.*" you will likely find the mouse drivers. If I remember correctly (don't bet on it), there will be a file named mouse.exe that you can run from dosstart.bat and it will give you that mouse suppport you desire.

To get the CD up and running, you will likely need your specific CD drivers. There are several sites on the internet that instruct you on how to make a boot disk with CD-ROM support -- you might want to look up the details on Google.
    _____

Edit: I found this: Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode? That might be of interest to you.