New Lounger
    Thanks

DBase locking (2002)

Is it normal behavior for the database to lock when I view data access pages? This doesn't seem to make sense on the surface. It certainly creates a problem when I have any number of people trying to append data from the internet on my ASP pages. Is this process going to prevent people from adding their information if someone happens to be viewing a data access page at the same time?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: DBase locking (2002)

Are you viewing your DAPs in the Access database and in design mode? That might well cause the database to be put in exclusive mode. If that's the case, you might want to split your database so your deployed DAPs hit the back-end.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell,

I may have mis-understood exactly what the .ldb file does. Still not sure, but I thought it locked the database so no other users could access it. That doesn't appear to be the case. I am using a number of ASP pages to collect my data on the front end and use DAP's for staff personnel to view and append to the data. I will need these things to happen simultaneously of course. Thanks again...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, it doesn't lock the database - it contains lock information for records or pages, depending on system information, and it also shows who is or has been connected to the database recently. For that reason, any user connected to it must have full capabilities in the folder where the database resides, as people have to create, read, write and delete the .ldb file. Under normal circumstances, the web interface will only have one connection to the database (from IIS or your ISP or whatever), so they aren't a worry, whether using ASP pages or DAPs. The rub comes if you go in with Access and attempt to work with forms or whatever - Access 2000 and 2002 take exclusive control of the database at that point, and nobody is allowed to access it. Hope this makes things a bit clearer.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have certainly some of these things the hard way as I'm sure many of us have. I think it sounds like I will be good. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Time for survivor...