Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using PC logon (XP sp2)

I currently use forms to collect the User's logon and password. Is there a way to use the User's PC logon to identify him/her for purposes of filtering records, etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using PC logon (XP sp2)

Hi

I presume you are a) talking about security and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] do not wish to use Access security feature. There are number of ways to do this. In some of my DBs I created a table containing user names and logon names, and assign them various user rights (yes/no fields). You can then use this information to compare against the captured PC user logon to determine what they can and can not do. This can be done by using a function which can be called from forms etc.

If this is not what you are wanting, then more details are required.

Regards
    WTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your assumptions are correct, and I'm currently doing something similar to what you describe. What I would LIKE to do is "capture the user's PC logon" and compare that against field contents in tbl_Users rather than require the user to type in a separate logon and password for the database. Currently:

tbl_Users contents:
    username Password MainForm
    kitty pass1 frm_main
    tom pass2 frm_maindept

frmLogon opens at Startup, user enters name, it looks into tbl_Users to find matching name. If successful, frmPassword is opened, user enters password, if match found in tbl_Users main form is opened (different forms for different users).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It seems to me you are going to a good deal of work to avoid using Access User Security. If you want to open different forms for different users all you have to do is set up security but not give users a password (other than Admin), and then check the userid with CurrentUser() to see which form to open. The advantage with user security is that you can then block users from certain functions if you need to, and only allow special users (yourself) to access the design of forms, etc.
    Wendell

Thanks

This code from The Access Web will do what you want for capturing the User's Log-In name.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are probably right, but I don't have Access Security skills. Accessing username seemed simpler. Code has been provided.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The basics aren't really that hard - you might take a look at the Security Tutorial on our website. It's an introduction, but enough to get you started, and has links to all the gory details.
    Wendell