Thread: confused

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

confused

The scenario (at home):
    Machine 1 (M1 hence forth): IBM PIII @ 800 MHz w/ W2K SP4. It has printer and scanned connected to it.
    Machine 2 (M2 hence forth): MMX @ 233 MHz w/W2K SP4 also.
    Firewall DLink D604.
    Both machines connected, with their ID and address, and OK to Internet. Both machines ping OK to each other
    Enabled port 80 in M 1 as Virtual Server, because want to transfer files from M2 to M1 (and viceversa, if possible). When from M2 try to URL address of M1 get message: "Website under construction".
    Asked some friends, and got opinions which got me confused, like :"You must have a Website from your ISP", or "Must have W2K Server for what you want to do".
    Could someone please shed some light into my problem?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel Rozenberg

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: confused

Exactly what did you do to "Enabled port 80 in M 1 as Virtual Server"?
    Why do you want to use port 80 (presumably with a web server of some sort) to transfer files.?
    Is the Firewall in between the two PCs, or are they on a common subnet?

I think it would be much easier to enable file and printer sharing and share a folder from one PC and then map the share from the other.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    I followed the instructions of DLink 604 manual. I am attaching a scanning of that portion of the manual.
    In parallel, I also submitted the same questions and scenario of my original post to Dlink support.
    They replied that what I need is a change in some settings in W2K Operating System to have files and printer shared.
    Went to W2K Help and found some guidance there, which I plan to read and try.
    If I found something I don't understand and / or need clarification, will come back to this site .
    I don't want ot waste your time in assisting someone who maybe needs something very elemental.
    Thank you very much.

Daniel Rozenberg.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

These instructions are intended for someone who has a working web server on their PC and wants to configure the D-Link firewall to allow users on the Internet to access that web server. This will not help you to share files between your PCs.

You should NOT configure your firewall to pass port 80 to one of your PCs unless you want to create a web site that is visible on the internet.

You should enable file and printer sharing and share a folder instead.

StuartR