2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subtotalling (Excel 97/SR2)

I have a .csv file that gets created daily and emailed to me. I have written some code to extract out the data that I need, but have become stumped on the final part of the code. The data is payroll data for all of the departments in our facility. The report has multiple rows of data for each department/shift combination. I am looking for help in subtotalling the data, so that I end up with one row of data for each department/shift combination.

I know how to use the subtotals function from the DATA menu, but I need to import this data into an Access database, and only want to import the sum rows.

How can I get the subtotal rows to a separate worksheet so that I can import them into access.

I have attached a small copy of the file. The tab named "Original" is a copy of the .csv file, the tab named "Formatted" is what the data looks like after running my formatting code. I would like to move the subtotalled data to a new worksheet named "Import" and keep the same column structure.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subtotalling (Excel 97/SR2)

Hi Steve...

I'm sure we could figure out a way to do this but I just wanted to ask a question first...
    Would it not be quicker and easier to import the entire table into Access and then create a quick Totals query inside Access for you to use?

Thanks

Re: Subtotalling (Excel 97/SR2)

Steve,

Select the subtotaled rows ...
    Use Edit | GoTo | Special to copy the visible cells.
    Paste them where you want them.
    I added a third sheet to your workbook with the result. (attached)

Regards,

Jim Cone
    San Francisco, CA