New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt PST file (OL 2000 SR1)

Help! I have a corrupt PST file (I think). Is there any way to recover all or part of it? I created a new file and tried to import but access is denied. I tried Inbox Repair - same message. I was able to import folders from a recent copy of the file that I restored from tape but I am still missing three days worth of important emails, tasks and notes.

Thanks in advance,
    MM

Thanks

Re: Corrupt PST file (OL 2000 SR1)

First, how big is the file? If it grew to 2GB or more, the new material is basically lost. Microsoft has a tool to truncate the file back down to 2GB and then ScanPST.exe might run again.

If your file is of a more reasonable size, it's probably something else. "Access denied" is an odd message to get. Is the file marked "read only"? Find it in Windows Explorer or My Computer and check its attributes on the Properties dialog. PSTs cannnot be read-only.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply! The file is only 250MB. It is not read only. I used 'access denied' a little loosly. I don't remember the exact message from Outlook but it was something to that effect. Other attempts to access the file to copy or move it, by Inbox Repair, by Outlook running on another machine (over the network), etc. have all returned a similar message. I am quite certain the file is corrupt.

Thanks

I don't know of any other recovery tools, but you should definitely try http://www.slipstick.com. It's an authoritative source for all things Outlook and Exchange.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can't copy or move the standalone PST file you may need to run disk diagnostics.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all! I fixed it. I finally got Scan Disk to do a Thorough scan. (Earlier today I got an error message when I tried it - don't know what was different this time.) It showed some 40k in bad sectors. The last time I ran it, it had reported zero. After running SD, I ran Inbox Repair (SCANPST.EXE). Unlike this AM, it recognized the file and successfully repaired it. I then Imported the data from the missing three days into my new PST file. Yahooo!
    MM