New Lounger
    Thanks

slow paste in word (word2000 win98)

I have an annoying problem with word2000. When I select text to copy/cut and paste to a new word file, it takes a long time before the pasting is done. When I paste to wordpad instead, pasting is fast. Is there a setting to change, something with word and the clipboard?

Thanks

Re: slow paste in word (word2000 win98)

This probably depends on two things.

First, the source makes a difference. If you are pasting from another Word document, it should be fast because the format is the same and the source is local. When you paste from Internet Explorer, on the other hand, I think Word actually goes back to the source web site to resolve the links and refresh the contents. Where are you trying to copy from?

Second, the destination format makes a difference. If you choose Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted, then Word is able to blast the text into your document without delay. Some formatting takes longer than others; you'll have to experiment.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson:
    I've had the same problem & you're quite right. When you copy from IE, it takes much longer to paste...I've waited up to 45 seconds for a single formatted paste. Once I paste something, I can copy from one Word document to another instantly.

Also, if I'm not connected to the Internet, it will call up my connection & I think that you told me one time that having Zone Alarm (or any firewall) activated will slow it down. I can't find any option that will speed up the paste (except paste special unformatted, which, of course, loses formatting).

New Lounger
    Thanks

You're right, this changes everything. Thanks for your help. The slowing down occurred (sorry I forgot) when copying from IE to Word.
    Now the next question: I like my keyboard to copy and paste. Is there a way to make a shortcut to 'paste special without formatting' without having to go through the view menu - paste special - make a selection?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Marc:
    You can create or record a macro that does a PasteSpecial/Unformatted. Once you have the macro, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it. In fact, if you record it (by pressing REC in the status bar at the bottom of the screen), it automatically gives you an option to assign the keyboard shortcut at that time. To do this:

1. In a new document based on the template that you wish to save the macro, press REC.
    2. In the dialog box that comes up, give the macro a name. "PasteUnformatted" is as good as any.
    3. Under 'Store macro in', change to the template you want. Most experts recommend having a separate template in the startup folder to hold macros, but using normal will also work.
    4. Type a description.
    5. Click the Keyboard button & assign a keyboard shortcut. The choice is up to you. I prefer not using either Ctrl+V (so you can use it for formatted text) or Ctrl+Shift+V (because that pastes formatting, which I find handy).

Save the template & you're done.
    Cheers,

Thanks

For a ready-made macro for plain text, see <post#=291457>post 291457</post#>. If your selection contains any pictures, it might bomb out on you. I can't remember if I've tested that.