3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Upgrade (XP Home)

I am trying to upgrade my computer from W98SE to XP Home. However, during the installation, the program tells me that it cannot install until GoBack is removed. GoBack instructions say to uninstall it via the Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs. However, it does not show there. I reinstalled it thinking that it might again appear under Add/Remove but it did not. I have a utility from PC Magazine which is supposed to see and remove applications that Add/remove might not see. It did see GoBack and I used it for the removal. I received a message that GoBack was successfully removed. I again ran the XP upgrade but it still thinks GoBack is installed and would not proceed. I searched the Registry and found two old entries for GoBack and deleted them. I searched the Registry again for "GoBack" and did not find any. But still the XP upgrade is seeing something and it thinks GoBack is installed.

I have been at this for 4 hours now. Any ideas how I can get the XP upgrade to know that GoBack is not installed and proceed with the upgrade?

Thanks

Re: XP Upgrade (XP Home)

Jim,

Search and delete any "Roxio" entries from the Reg, in addition to "GoBack".
    Also, run Windows Explorer and carefully look for any residual Roxio or GoBack folders or files and delete them too.
    Run msconfig from command pronpt, to see if GoBack entries are gone.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

Apparently there are even more things that can cause this problem than the ones you mentioned. I found KB article 31533 on the Microsoft site which provides a long list of files and registry entries that could cause this problem. I followed your instructions and those in the KB article. After doing all of that precision surgery, I was able to get the XP upgrade program to get past that check point and it is now installing the upgrade. Hopefully I did not screw up anything in the Registry in the process. And hopefully it will complete the upgrade without further problems.

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.
    Jim

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Oh boy! The reality has hit me and already I am beginning to agree with those who think it's not a good idea--Symantec Welcome's Roxio Go Back's Customers--Ouch!! I thought my browser was hijacked because I knew I wanted certain Roxio KB's and I kept seeing the Symantec logo on them--I'd go to Roxio and I was back at Symantec. And my browser in a sense was hijacked.

The difference between me and some people is after I get it extalled, I would never install RGB again. It really boogies with your MBR--boogie meaning reconfigures the Windows Master Boot Record and I've had the pleasure of playing games with Roxio's head of Tech Support trying to get it unhooked from the MBR to get it uninstalled so I could boot back to Windows.

One of the problems can be and Roxio agreed with me--that it can be impossible to unhook it from the MBR when you have trouble and need to--they only know one way and if that doesn't work well and you have major problems they're going to bid you a quick "goodbye you're on your own."

If it destroys your partitions or damages them beyond repair, then you won't be going to that Windows installation ever again, and a good backup will become your best friend. I know it has its fans, as I was reading through Roxio's site I got to go through some of the testamonials and it helped me before it destroyed me.

Any problems may be over now--hopefully your XP machine is up and working fine, but..
    take a look at :

How to remove the files and registry entries that are associated with GoBack 3.x Personal Edition manually When Add/Remove Doesn't Work

How to disable Roxio GoBack 3X and Remove It From the Master Boot Record

I'm sorry there weren't a few more reg keys or subkeys to delete in this one.

I included this one--it has one of my favorite subjects--OEM hidden partitions:

Error: "Master Boot Record Error press any key" when Hewlett Packard computer starts after installing GoBac

I know you have an HP Printer, but no idea whose PC you have.

Good luck,

SMBP