Thanks

Windows reboots on shutdown command

Running a Window 200 O/S with multiple user logins. When not logged in or logged in a most users the shutdown command results in a Reboot rather than a power down
    as required. I have checked the registry and the shutdown setting is "1" Only when logged in as administrator can I get it to power down. there is one setting under [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer] "Shutdown Setting"=dword:00000004 & "Reason Setting"=dword:00000005 but I do not know
    what effect these have and what the possible values can be and or if this has any significance.
    Further at one time I was aware of a Icon you could put on the main screen to shutdown the PC to the Ready to power down state, but I forget how.
    The main issue is what registry setting has got altered such that a general user can not shutdown before or after logging in.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows reboots on shutdown command

I'm no expert on Win2k but I've checked my registery setting at that point and I have "Shutdown settings:REG_DWORD:0x2" there is no "Reason setting". I would be very cautious about changing the Registry settings without knowing what the outcome is likely to be.

My PC is shutting down regardless of what user is signed on. Hope this at least gets you started in the right direction.
    Granville

Thanks

Do you literally mean running a command? - or using the Start > Shutdown method?

Would PsShutdown from Sysinternals give you what you want?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have two suggestions:
    1) You may have a "Dirty Bit" on your harddrive and this should clear it: Close all the running programs then >"To shut W2K down fast, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, and then hold down the CTRL key while clicking the Shut Down button. You'll get a warning dialog: 'If you continue your machine will reboot and any unsaved data will be lost. Use this only as a last resort.' (They're not kidding) If you click OK, the system will reboot IMMEDIATELY -- no shutdown screen, no 'It is now safe to turn off your computer' splash. Upon rebooting, you hopefully will find all is well, and the 'dirty' bit on your NTFS drives was not set, meaning that any pending writes to those volumes had been flushed." This technique is not recommended unless you're caught between a rock and a hard place.

2)Create a shutdown Desktop Icon by following these steps:

1) Right click your Desktop to bring up a context window. Select New, then Create Shortcut.
    2) In the Command Line space, type the following path:
    C:WINDOWSRUNDLL32.EXE user.exe,exitwindows (space only between EXE and user).
    3) Click on Next, then rename the Icon Shutdown. Click on Finish and your new Icon is on your Desktop.
    4) Now double click on your new Icon and the computer will go directly to shutdown

Hope this helps