3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer No Java (XP Home)

I just upgraded from W98 to XP Home. I then went to Windows Update and downloaded all of the latest patches for my system. However, now when I go to Internet Explorer, it will not run javascript. For example, if I select Windows Update, I get a completely empty window - nothing from the update site is displayed. It was fine after the upgrade but does not work once I ran update. I assume that something is messed up somewhere but where???????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer No Java (XP Home)

Go to Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel. Click the Advanced tab at the right and scroll about halfway down. Un-check the Sun Java box and CHECK the Microsoft one. Re-start the browser and see if that fixes it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see a "Sun Java box". The only place I see "Java" is under as group heading "Microsoft VM". There are "Java console enabled", "Java logging enabled" and :JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled". Only the last one is checked.

I suspect I have a problem with Internet Explorer. I upgrade to XP Home and then performed Windows Update and installed all of the recommended fixes/updates. Now I notice that when I clikc on About in IE, there is nothing shown for Version, or Product ID or Cipher Strength. I suspect one of the updates somehow has caused a problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also, now when I select Windows Update, IE comes up with a completely blank screen.

Would it be helpful to go back and uninstall the updates, one ny one, via Control Panel, Add/Remove? Or is there something better to try?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try CHECKING the Java box first. I couldn't get Yahoo Fantasy Football scripts to work until I did (recently). I probably have the Sun box because I have it installed as a Mozilla plugin.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had too many other problems, like blank windows update screen, etc. so I decided to use GoBack to revert to right after the XP upgrade completed. This has everything back working again and I will just be more cautious and attentive as I install each of the upgrades.
    Thanks for the help.
    Jim

Thanks

WindowsUpdate does not use Java (the semi-compiled language that requires a virtual machine), it uses a combination of (1)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too late. As I said previously, I have reverted my computer using GoBack to before the upgrades were made and everything operates fine. I can definitely say that the problem was associated with one of the XP upgrades but I cannot say which one. IE, and everything else, is operating fine now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Jim, Did your upgrade include SP-1 or was it one of the updates you downloaded? If you downloaded it, I'd strongly recommend that SP-1 be applied first and separately. I'd also recommend that you download the network version and not let Windows Update figure out which pieces to apply. Then, if all is well you should apply one or two updates at a time checking your system operation after update. This way if the problem happens again you should be able to identify the offending fix. You should not ignore the updates being recommended (except driver updates). There have been way too many security related patched released. I'd never install a driver update from Windows Update. And I'd be selective about the recommended Windows udpates - only pick the ones that seem to apply to you after reading about the patch.

Joe
    Joe