Lounger
    Thanks

Sound volume too low (Windows XP Pro 5.1)

I'm using Windows XP Pro on a Toshiba laptop and the sound is suddenly very faint. (It used to be just fine.) The volume is set to high & so are the speaker settings. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sound volume too low (Windows XP Pro 5.1)

See if there is an Advanced option in the Sound/Audio control panel. Some sound cards have a "sound mixer" to set the level for wave files, CD's etc. separately, in addtion to setting the overall level.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried double-clicking the volume icon in the system tray (see attachment). Sometimes one or more of the sliders needs to be raised, even though we usually control only master volume. If you don't have the volume icon in your tray, open Control Panel, Sounds. But be careful not to CHANGE any devices listed in any of the screens lest you "break" your sound completely. If you still can't get it increased, let us know.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Margot--

If you go to both the card and the sound volume control or essentially any and all applets on the control panel that have to do with playing sound, and sometimes even controls on the particular player you're using for sound, WMP, Winamp or whichever can be changed by 3rd party programs or a variety of the software programs or components on your machine. I've seen a variety of seemingly unrelated applications affect the player, the card, or the sound dialogue boxes. I'd check every box and control in all 3 categories.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'm away from that computer at the moment, but will check this as soon as I can.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply & screen shot. I had already raised all the sliders. In fact, all the sliders were at their highest point when I looked at them -- I think because I'd already moved the master volume to high.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I checked WMP, but will take a look to see if there are any other programs I need to look at.