Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoText entries in menu

Does anyone know how to manipulate the list of AutoText entries which appear directly *underneath* the AutoText command in the Word 97 menu (Insert | AutoText | etc.).

I could try do this using code, but I figure there may be an easier way.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: AutoText entries in menu

Hey Stephan,

What exactly do you want to manipulate? If you want to alter what shows up in that list, then code is probably going to be the only way to go - you'd probably have to completely replace the built-in menu entry.

Gary

BAM

Hi Stephan,

I'm not sure about what you want to do but, the AutoText submenus are created from AutoText entries that are associated with a specific Style.

So if you want to add an entry to a specific menu, apply the named Style before creating the AutoText entry.

To create a new menu, create a new Style and apply it before creating the AutoText entry.

To remove an entry, delete the AutoText.

If this is along the lines of what you want, let us know and we can provide additional details.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary and BAM,

Thanks for your replies, guys. To make it absolutely clear, what I'm talking about, I'm attaching a file w a screen shot.

See the list of AutoText entries that appear beneath the "AutoText" and "New" commands? I want to manipulate that.

Thanks again.

Stephan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And what exactly do you wish to do in your manipulations.

The list appears to be sorted alphabetically and the entries present are the ones applicable to the style at the start of the current selection.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To Andrew and all:

Ah, I see what you mean now. That "quick" list of AutoText entries is based on the style of the selection. I didn't know that.

A few of my users had insisted that I set up a permanent "quick" list of the most common firm-wide AutoText entries, but now I realize that "quick" list doesn't work like that.

Thanks again for enlightening me.

Stephan

BAM

Hi Stephan,

I'm glad you now understand how it works. :-)

Just some additional notes for you:

- If the Style of the current selection doesn't have AutoText entries associated with it then all AutoText entries available will display.

- You can turn on the AutoText toolbar to make the entries easier to access. Either "tear off" the AutoText menu (place your cursor on the dark gray bar at the top and drag) or right-click any toolbar to turn it on.

What I have done in the past is to build my own submenus for common AutoText entries and utilize the toolbar. The key is to associate the AutoText entries with a Style that will not be used in a document. (The name of the Style will display as an AutoText submenu) That way all "All Entries" will be available.

The best way to create this is to place the AutoText entries in a separate template (not Normal.dot) and use it as a Global template.

A Global template can be automatically loaded when Word starts and the AutoText entries readily accessible. To automatically load the template, either place it in the users WordStartup folder or if in a network environment, place it in a shared folder and point their Startup location to it. The location to the Startup folder can be found under Tools/Options/File Locations.

- For the most part, the only time I associate an AutoText entry with a Style that will also be used in the document is for templates. That way my Styles are already in place and I can shorten the list accordingly. This also allows me to take advantage of AutoTextList fields.

An AutoTextList field works like the AutoText menu, however the fields are inserted into the document/template and right-clicking on the field displays the list. If interested, here is an article that contains more of an explanation and the necessary steps:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...toTextList.htm</A>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Hi Stephan,

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm>How to add pop-up lists to any Word document so you can click your way through changes in seconds.</A> (http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...toTextList.htm).

Also, for more on AutoText try the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#AutoText>Word Web Resources - AutoText</A> (http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...s.htm#AutoText).

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin