4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To Update or Not? (Office 200)

I am using Office 2000 Professional [Windows 98SE] and have not installed any of the service releases. With all the virus problems I was thinking maybe I should. But then I worry about what havoc the updates might play on my PC and Office. I downloaded SR-1a and ordered [months ago] the SR2 and SR3 CDs. Here are my questions:
    1. Feedback on the benefits vs. evils of installing the updates
    2. Is it going to mess up Outlook?
    3. Are the CDs that are several months old still good?
    4. Will I need to install more patches after installing SR3?

Years ago I read a tip by an "expert" that said he never installed the patches and his apps worked so much more efficiently. I agreed because you can spend your whole life update Office [and Windows]. Thoughts?

TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: To Update or Not? (Office 200)

IMHO, it depends a good deal on what applications you are using and how much you stress them. If for example, you are using Access 2000, then you most definitely want to install SR-1a, as it fixed a number of bugs that caused users a fair bit of grief. If on the other hand you do mostly Word memos, and occasional Excel workbooks and PPT presentations, and mostly get email, I wouldn't worry too much. That is, if you aren't having frequent application crashes. So that's my take on question 1.
    2 - SR-1a doesn't do anything bad to Outlook, but SR-2 and 3 bump up the virus protection to the point where you may find it a major pain, especially if you send or receive emails with attachments.
    3 - The CDs should still be just fine.
    4 - Probably not, but there will be an occasional patch issued from time to time to plug security holes in all probability. But with the imminent arrival of Office 2003, I expect less and less activity on 2000.

Bottom line - if you aren't online full time with a broadband connection, as long as you run a good, current anti-virus program, and if you feel the need, a software firewall, you should be pretty safe.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    My question pertained to my home PC. I have a cable modem but do not leave my PC on when I'm not using it. I don't send/receive a lot of attachments and I don't use Access much. My concern was for security and I do use a virus checker and firewall. Considering all the problems one can have with service releases from Microsoft, I think I will pass. Thanks for your input. It helped me decide and save me some valuable time.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry--

I would go for the critical ones applying your benefits/risk equation--you can always uninstall them.

I sure wouldn't ignore any critical ones like this one: MS03-037: Flaw in Visual Basic for Applications Could Allow Arbitrary Code Execution(822715) September 5, 2003

You might want to look at the Woody's Office Watch September 10, 2003 where Woody opens with:

"In a rare turn of events, I'm recommending that everyone install all of Microsoft's outstanding "critical" Windows and Office updates. More on that below. Yep, you read that right. As of today I recommend that everyone (with one exception) try to use Windows Update and Office Update to apply all of Microsoft's critical patches."

Experts from the U.S.'s third largest railroad, which instead of "working so much more efficiently after ignoring the July 16, 2003 critical update" had to shut down the operations of its train system.

Large companies like Lookheed one of the largest U.S. Airforce contractors, , and a good part of the computers from the U.S. Department of State who had their consular communications and foreign communications systems on their computers shut down by the Welchia virus Tuesday Sept 23 that has access to a lot of IT "expertise." I'm not sure if the railroad

After his remarks in this article, See John's Lounge thread here the CIO of @Stake was dismissed.

Here are lists of the Office 2000 Patch and Service Release and Word components and what they do hyperlinked and Release FAQ's which may help you decide:

266134: OFF2000: Overview and History of Office 2000 Updates 9/19/2003

Hyperlinked Updates for Office 2000 with Detailed Context

298409: WD2000: Overview and History of Word 2000 Updates

312564: OFF2000: Frequently Asked Questions About Office 2000 Service Releases, Service Packs, and Updates

326665: WD2000: Issues Fixed in Word 2000 by Office 2000 Service Pack 3 4/18/2003

Flaw in Microsoft Word Could Enable Macros to Run Automatically (827653) Posted September 3, 2003--Microsoft Security Site Ranking "Important"

There are reports and KB's of course of conflicts, some on the lounge. I put in all the updates for Office XP (2SP's) and the Beta 2 of 2003 with no harm yet, but I'm just one case and it's dependent upon your computer's equation. Here's one example"

256916: OFF2000: "Mapi Repair Tool" Error Message When You Install Office 2000 SR-1

As Phil says, if you use Word 2K a great deal, there are a number of functionality fixes as well as security fixes.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry:
    I use mainly Word. There are other reasons to install the patches. There are a number of bugs in Word 2000 that were cured by the service releases. SR-1a, in my opinion, is mandatory. Otherwise, you will not be able to copy & paste multiparagraphs in a protected form, your page numbers may be incorrect, & a host of other problems. I skipped SR2, even though I don't use Outlook. I installed SR3 also. I thought, but am not positive, that this did not include the Draconian attachment update problems that SR2 had.

You can read about SR-1a here & the dozens of bug fixes. You can read about the fixes in SR3 here. You can install SR3 without installing SR2 (you must have SR -1a though.