2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

reinstall problems (pro)

I seem to have ruined my re-installation -- there is no dial up connection-- any ideas on how to fix a ruined re install? Is this likely to be a registry problem? Help please

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reinstall problems (pro)

Thank you for replying so quickly-- I am at a friends home (since I can't get on line to contact the lounge [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) I have printed out your instructions as well as the ones from microsoft-- and will go home to try the fix. My problem started with my internet provider changing phone numbers-- and changing all of the subscribers user names (without mentioning it to us) I was told that the reason I couldnt sign on was that my modem was bad-- I believed them and uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and in total frustration, reinstalled XP-- and suddenly, I have no ability to create a dial up connection-- if this works, I will be back tonight to say thank you!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for your major inconvenience Ginger. Knowing this information, I'd add:

310431: Error 691" or "Error 734" When You Attempt to Establish a Dial-Up Connection in Windows XP

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;332000&Product=winxp">332000:
    You Cannot Change the Dial-Up Connection Phone Number</A>

These may help. I'd call and I'd turn the ISP upside down--they have a responsibility to notify you and also to help with fixing the problem.

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

some of the errors are:
    rasman (dozens of these 20035 and 20063)
    service control manager lots of these but only 3 numbers they are : 7023, 7000, 7001
    then there was an msi installer 11706
    there were some others but these are the main ones and ginger does not have a clue what any of these mean is this helpful? (i am only the go between)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I empathize Ginger but when you start to search Rasman errors with modems and with dial ups, there are a lot of them and it depends on what else they say besides the numbers to define them. Why don't you try the KB's particularly the first 3 that go to your problem, and/or call the ISP? Did you mean you're the go between from the errors to here? Can you past the types of errors in their entirity? In searching I was staring at tables of rasman errors with different descriptions as well as numbers--this is a hard thing to fix in bits and pieces. Where's the ISP 24/7 tech support that you pay for in all this? I'm glad to help but I'm only getting a piece of the puzzle here.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 29-Sep-03 12:59. To remove extra white space)</P>Ginger--

A little more info and you can probably fix this problem. What browser? Are you getting any kind of error messages when you try to connect to your dialup? ISP might find the correct settings--called them? Exactly what are you seeing and what happens Ginger when you try to connect? Also go to the run box and type in "eventvwr.msc" and under Application/and System what information/errors are you getting at the time you attempt to connect?

Check your settings here: Network Connections/Advanced/Dial-Up Preferences/Enable Auto-Dial by Location/Uncheck all locations.

Try this, and export the registry key first and set a restore point--that'll back you up before editing the registry:

Windows has the option to automatically dial your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to establish an Internet connection. This option can be controlled using this tweak:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionInternet Settings

Set the value to equal "0x00000001 (1) " to enable autodial or "0x00000001 (0) " to disable it.

Note: This restriction can be used either on a user by user basis by adding it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER or on a computer wide basis by adding it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionInternet Settings

Set the value to equal "0x00000001 (1) " to enable autodial or "0x00000001 (0) " to disable it.

Note: This restriction can be used either on a user by user basis by adding it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER or on a computer wide basis by adding it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Possibly these references will also help:

284269: HOW TO: Save and Restore Dial-up Connections in Windows XP

303488: Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP

310410: HOW TO: Configure and Use Dial-Up Connections in Windows XP

169244: Autodial Fails to Dial Automatically

hth,

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

just in case you check on this old post-- I finally did get the problem fixed-- have changed providers-- now, all I need to do is get the website moved and I can get back to work-- thank you for all your help

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I love your solution to this. If only more people would respond to providers who treat them this way in such an effective manner. I hope you have very smooth sailing Ginger and are not inconvenienced time wise by the switch--i.e. that they get up and running to your satisfaction quickly.

SMBP