Thread: Access Problem

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Problem

I have had a home office network setup for a while. It uses a LinkSys cable router and has 3 computers: XP Home, XP Pro, and W98SE. The XP Pro is a notebook that I also use to log into tghe network of my client at his office. The XP Home and W98SE machines worked well together but I have always had some difficulty with the XP Pro recognizing the other computers and the other computers accessing it. Recently I upgraded the W98SE computer to XP Home.
    Now my problem is that the old XP home and XP Pro computers cannot access any of the 3 computers on the network. The upgraded XP Home computer can access the XP Pro but not the other XP Home. In all cases, when I try to double click on the other computer, I receive "____ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure. The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer." The old XP Home computer now gives "The list of servers was not available" error when I try to view workgroup computers. (it never had a problem before). The upgraded XP Home computer gives "the network path was not found" error when I try to access the old XP Home computer.
    I have made sure that I have the same account name and password on all three computers.
    Any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Problem

Here is some additional information on my problem:

I have had an office network of 3 computers using a LinkSys BEFSR41 for a while now. The computers are running XP Home, W98SE and XP Pro. Recently I upgraded the W98SE computer to XP Home. I have been able to get this upgraded computer and the one running XP Pro talking to each other on the network. However, I lost the original XP Home computer from the network. All 3 computers are configured for the same workgroup.

Let's call the computers:
    A = the original XP Home computer
    B = the XP Pro computer
    C = The W98SE upgraded to XP Home computer

The symptoms are:
    - B and C can see all 3 computers on the network
    - when I click on View Workgroup Computers in A, I receive an error "the list of servers is not currently available"
    - I can ping B and C from A using IP but I cannot ping them using their computer names
    - I can ping A and B from C using IP. I can ping B from C using its computer name. I cannot ping A from C using its computer name.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Problem

I believe I solved my own problem. I found that on computer A, I had installed NetBui because it was the only way I could find to get it to talk to C (running W98SE). I disabled Netbui (TCP/IP is still checked) but it still did not see the other two computers. I noticed on computer C that after I upgraded, NWLink protocol was installed (I had never installed it). So I installed NWLink on computer A and, voila, it could communicate with C (I did not have B on the network at the time, but homefully it will communicate also).

Maybe this will also help someone else.