5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

chkdsk (WIN XP HOME)

A fellow I am helping says that everytime he starts his computer, CHKDSK runs. He says he does not know what he could have done to cause that. Is there a way to "schedule" CHKDSK to run everytime the computer boots. If so, is there a way to disable the process from happening. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: chkdsk (WIN XP HOME)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 29-Sep-03 12:57. To remove extra white space)</P>If he can get up to Windows, I'd run System Restore; and then if that won't work I'd fix this by running "chkdsk /r" from the Windows XP Recovery Console. Below are the remedies and the reasoning behind them with reference links to get it done.

There are commands that will schedule chkdsk to run on the next boot listed when you put "chkdsk" as a search term in Help and Support. A number of situations cause this, and a command your friend inadvertently set and can be unset is not the answer. Here's how to do it since you asked:

How to schedule a CHKDSK on every boot.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    From experience with this, the single best move that your friend can make is to go into the recovery console and run chkdsk /r--that's why I put this sentence at the top of the post. It can be caused by a lock-in situation where chkdsk tries to repair a "dirty bit" situation

What is probably the answer is that something has set the volume's "dirty bit." When a volume's dirty bit is set, autochk automatically checks the volume for errors the next time the computer is restarted.If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows XP starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.

Here's what to do:

Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: fsutil dirty query c: (or whatever drive his XP is on). You'll get back either the drive "is dirty" or "it's not dirty."

You have 3 choices that may work--I list them in order I rank them:

1) You can run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. I think this is the fastest and most effective. I've seen it work for this several times.

2) You can run the chkntfs /d and reboot and chkdsk won't run on the next boot. What this does is to restore default settings. Note this is a different command than chkdsk. Chkntfs is a command that displays or specifies whether automatic checking is schduled to run on a FAT, FAT32, or NTFS volume when the computer is started.

3) You can go to Kelly's XP Tweaks and click line 82 and this will do a quick reliable regedit that will stop it.

For reference on running chkdsk /r from the Recovery console:

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console Scroll down for instructions on running chkdsk /r.

hth,

SMBP

Thanks

Two possibilities come to mind, but I'm not sure either apply to newer versions of Windows. If XP was loaded over an earlier version, maybe.

1. <LI>Sometimes folks put chkdsk /f in autoexec.bat as a form of "routine maintenance." Not needed any more, I don't think.

<LI>If Windows did not shut down correctly in older versions, chkdsk would run at startup. It's been so long since I've forced Windows to crash, I don't know if it does this anymore.
    Not sure this helps.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

But with improper shutdown, Jefferson, usually chkdsk or scan disk would run at start, but not at every start. I have also seen it run in an "endless loop" or continuously never letting you get up to Windows in Windows XP and have stopped that problem by running chkdsk /r from the recovery console which is why I felt encouraged it might change this behavior.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If the disk is dirty, and I highly suspect this, then System Restore is not going to fix that I remembered as I was thinking this over on the last post.

Good luck with your friend,

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Trebor--

What's up? Have you tried anything at all since two days for your friend? Steps 1 and 2 should definitely do it for you.

1) Chkdsk /r in the recovery console should help you stop this. It has the additional advantage that it implies--on the street that means includes "chkdsk /f" and is said by many to be more effective than from the command line or gui and I concur with that.

2) You should be able to fix this by using "chkntfs/X C" if C were the problem drive or whatever letter--this works when the drive is dirty and I showed you above how to verify this. The advantage of sticking the X in the command is that it saves time by causing the command to skip checking cycles within the folder.

As Jefferson pointed out, whenever there's an improper shut down chkdsk should run automatically on boot, as it did no older systems, but I've seen this to be inconsistent and it appears to also depend on the degree of impropriety during a particular shut down. When chkdsk is running, it will be corrupted if anyone presses "ctrl + c." It could take hours if you had terabytes, but with 80 GB or so it shouldn't take that long--20-30 minutes in my experience.

3) In addition, When there is improper shutdown, the Autochk program runs on all NTFS drives in XP, 2K, NT where a disk write was in process at the time of shutdown. This gets exacerbated if you have write caching enabled on a hard drive connected to a standard IDE controller. It improves performance, by delaying data writing while other work is done, but it ups the risk of lost data or corruption.

Diabling write caching on the affected drive should help.

Open the run box with the Windows Key + "r" and type in diskmgmt.msc. From the graphical display in the bottom of the Disk Management window, right-click the disc icon and chooose Properties. On the policies tab, clear Enable Write Caching on the Disk. (Note this option, ie. the policies tab, may not be available if your disk is connected to a High Performance ATA-66 or ATA-100 IDE controller.)

After you find the cause of the underlying problem if there is improper shutdown, re-enable write caching.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have passed on SMBP's suggestions to my friend who wanted to "try and fix it himself". I have not heard back from him yet so have nothing to share at this point. As soon as I hear from him, I will report back. Thanks for all your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you letting it do it's thing by running the chkdsk or are you canceling it? You MUST allow it to run, or you will continue to receive this requirement until you DO run it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen it run in an endless loop and on boot Dave, when it was given every opprtunity to run to completion when there has been a dirty bit problem or need for cleaning solved by one of the two solutions above.

SMBP