5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Language annoyance (OE 6 (SP1))

I receive messages in English and Japanese. Is there any way to set up Outlook Express so that it will display both types of messages properly? I'm using Windows XP Pro and I have enabled support for Asian Languages, but:

If I have English as the default language for OE then Japanese does not display properly in the subject line.
    If I have Japanese as the default language OE then punctuation in English is screwed up in the subject line.

Does anyone have any ideas, please. Incidentally is it possible to change the view setting for messages individually or is this global?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Language annoyance (OE 6 (SP1))

Cah--

A patch to OE6SP1--an update for it--and I don't know if you have that--I know you have OE6SP1, but there is a later update was supposed to have have corrected these two types of English/ Japanese glitches in subject line and punctuation.

331923: October 2002, Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1 (Q331923)

I'd also get two additional patches at this site for IE6 from April, 2003 and August, 2003:

822925: August 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (822925)

330994: April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)

See for additional reference on this Japanese and English language "OE transformation problem":

Outlook Express 6 SP1 Cumulative Update (Q331923)

317011: Japanese Character Is Not Displayed Correctly When You Use MAPI ReadMail

Fixes the issues described in the following Microsoft knowledge base articles:
    Outlook Express quits unexpectedly when you receive a message that has a special MIME header (Q321530)
    Japanese character is not displayed correctly when you use MAPIReadMail (Q317011)

[i]If this is "been there-done that", and you have the update for OE6SP1 at the first link above, then I'd call MS on the number on their sites, and tell them you need to talk to them about an update problem. You won'thave a wait and they often have special small population circulation updates to fix particular niche problems whose files they will email you by pre-arrangement and you'll be able to verify the authenticity of the email (no retrogression analysis done they'll tell you). Usually they are listed in the MSKB, but some of the newer fixes are not.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Your message was very useful.

I tried to install 331923 but got an error message saying I needed Internet Explorer Service Pack 1 installing. I downloaded and installed this even though the notes say it is included with Windows XP service Pack 1. I ran and installed the other two updates you mentioned but I'm still getting the error message with 331923. Having said all this I tried a test message with Outlook Express (mailing from one email address to another) and it worked! I'm hoping this really annoying bug has been cured.

Thanks again, and thanks for responding so quickly,

Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chris--

If you haven't, try to download 331923 from here or from here and the third download site because these are three different places and I'm betting you only used one place. One of these should work--you should have that update for OE--it also makes it easier to read newsgroups by going to your posts by hitting Ctrl+H and to normal NG list mode by hitting the combo again. This update may insure you have fixed the problem since it's touted to have the fix in it.

The problem with downloading it is most characteristic of the Windows Update site downloads, and I'd avoid them particularly if I were having a problem. Two of the sites I gave you are from Microsoft Security Technical Bulletin List operated by Microsoft Technet.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear. I have downloaded 331923. When I try to install it I get the error message shown below. Having said this I tried the CTRL +H tip you mentioned for Outlook Express and that works fine. It's very useful. Perhaps I have the update installed and the message is erroneous?

Thanks again,

Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That message is not infrequent Chris, I've gotten it also and while there is an MSKB on it that says they have a patch for it if you call them, the patch hasn't been effective in all cases. There is a patch for an IE crash I get sometimes that gives me the same message, and I have in IE6SP1--it tells me I need it, I've talked it over with MS and they have no clue at this point.

I want you to try all 3 links though, because I understand that if you have to go from Japanese to English frequently as a number of people do, particularly if they have friends who speak it all the time, maybe one of them will work.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I tried downloading q331923.exe from all three sources. Each time when I tried to execute it I got the same error message. I think the error message is just a bug. Outlook Express behaves as you indicated it would after the patch has been applied. Punctuation in the subject line is readable and the CTRL+H command is a great time saving device. Incidentally, do you know anyway to force a particular message to download with a particular language? I receive several regular messages (mass mailings) from various sources and when they arrive the language is set to Japanese despite the fact that they should be in English. I can use encoding to change the message and that works but is there a way to do this automatically or force windows to download the message with the correct language encoding?

Thanks again,

Chris

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know but I will look. Possibly someone who is fluent in 2 or more languages and uses a computer in more than one language could help out with this.

SMBP