New Lounger
    Thanks

buttons not working (Not sure anymore)

My son downloaded gator and a few other things, I believe I cleaned all of it up, but am now having problems with buttons and views. My husband said he reloaded explorer, I went to microsoft and uploaded IE6 sp1, but no luck, tried to unload it, and it locks up on the config. My problem on the websites is, for example, in hotmail, when I press, empty this folder in the trash bin, it doesn't do anything, on other sites, when I press the submit button, it doesn't do anything. This is also happening in Yahoo, unless I delete each e-mail when it is open, I can't delete or move when in the main screen. Please help!
    Thanks!!!
    Ninette

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: buttons not working (Not sure anymore)

Ninnette--

I'm not sure what you mean "when you try to unload it, it locks on the config." I understand email is locking and you can't submit. A couple questions and 3 suggestion first off. 1) What operating system are you using? Do you still have IE6SP1? 2) Go to Start>run and put "eventvwr.msc" in the run box and stretch out the event veiwer to full screen and under 2 categories (forget Security) Application/Systems look for red X's and yellow triangles particularly at the time of the problems but scroll and look for them and left click or right click>properties on the item and what information (all of it words and number) are you getting. Also are you seeing any error messages otherwise?

The suggestion is to run System File Checker, and if I know the OS I'll plug you into further information on SFC and other measures to fix IE if need be. Windows File Protection sometimes automatically replaces damaged files, when they are availalbe to replace with and not damaged in the system32.dllcache folder themselves. If they are, and at other times it needs to pull the new files from the CD. SFC is the tool for using Windows File Protection. You may see a box that says retry as the progress bar moves, and when it's over, you'll have to go to Event Viewer as I showed you above to look for the message "Windows File Protection has run successfully."

This is a good, safe to your system, first step to try to correct IE. If you're using 98, you have a modified version of this tool, and if you're using 98 or ME you can always try to go to Add/Remove and hit the button to repair IE as a quick step. If you're using NT-XP you don't have that Add/Remove option but do have SFC.

You mentioned the word config, I'd also check by putting msconfig in the run box and on the start tab to try to eliminate extra programs you don't need at start. A lot of programs that don't need to be on like to run at start--and I would eliminate this in a Windows OS if I were designing it.

Finally I would download and run Adaware and Spybot and Pest Patrol if you can--because spyware, malware, and undstable BHO's they'll try to get rid of can also cause this behavior easily--StarPost 296439 has links to Adaware, Spybot and Post 297902 to Pest Patrol.

There are also updates for IE6SP1, but those are almost entirely security and you could get them later--they shouldn't impact this.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,
    You gave some awesome advice.
    Here is my latest....

I still can't get the event viewer to work. I am running Win 98.

I had to reinstall IE6 as the repair kept hanging. I also went out at the same time to the 'hijack'ed web site and downloaded thier stuff. They too recommended downloading spybot. I ran it, got rid of a multitude of junk and then resubmitted to them. They recommended that I get rid of "mywebsearch". The combination of those efforts are now allowing my buttons to work in explorer.

I went out to the msconfig and unclicked some junk and some of the spy stuff- how do I remove it?

I REALLY appreciate your help!
    Ninette

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would run most of the links in that thread on Anti-Spyware say once a week or if your browser seems to misbehave and if your browser is hijacked which is not that infrequent these days. A lot of Trojans that behave as spyware rather than viruses do this, and each antivirus company makes its own decision whether to go after them or not. Unfortunately, many of these programs like "Mywebsearch" that represent themselves as helping you browse, have spyware and people end up uninstalling them or complaining they can't get them uninstalled easily.

Here's a

281965: How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98

How To Use the Msconfig Utility With Screenshots

Pacs Portal Startup Applications

Removing items can be complicated because some of them have multiple sources. But if you select what you don't need, and the last two links helps reference some of the names that may be a little more esoteric and then restart.

You also may want to invest in one of the 3rd party task manager utilities for 98, that mimic the task manager where services that take up CPU and resources are displayed like ataskmanager $19.95 or the more susbtantial WinTasks 4 Professional $39.95 from LIUtilities. I would encourage you when you have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows XP which will be the latest Operating System until well into 1995 at least.

Event Viewer as it is in XP does not exist in Windows 98, although there are Workarounds to simulate it, and if you use a search engine you can find them.

It' not necessary to use diagnostic startup on msconfig's start tab if you know you don't want to have a particular program start rather than search for what might be causing resource problems. Just uncheck the culprit and restart. The quickest way to get it on your screen is to hit the Windows key + runbox and type in "msconifg."

SMBP