2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email requires password evry time (2000)

I am using a Toshiba Tablet 3500 and have Outlook setup to access all my email accounts. Although I setup the accounts to remember my password everytime I access my email I am asked for my password. I have looked for a setup file etc but cannot find one that will make sure the program accepts the password as entered when the account is established. Every time I go to Tools, accounts and enter the password after closing then returning the password has gone. Can anyone tell me what I am missing or doing incorrectly.

Thanks

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Email requires password evry time (2000)

Are you on a company network?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave

No I am not on a company network. I have a Buffalo wirless setup an ISDN Airsation and a wireless Printserver, witha Linksys PCMIA card in my laptop. No one uses it but me so there are no other computers registered with the setup I have.

Thanks for your time

Peter

Thanks

In earlier versions of Windows that let you bypass the login, Outlook would not save your password because it is in a part of the registry that requires a logon. If you are using a version of Windows configured to start up with no logon, perhaps this is the problem?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using Windows XP, in fact the Tablet Version as the unit I am using is a Toshiba 3500. Therefore I don't think that is the probelm, and in any event I am picking up mail from 3 ISP's as I am travelling so one password would not help. I use a wireless network at my home bases (nto with the Toshiba) and do not have this probelm.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks

Is there a checkbox to remember the password and you are checking it and it won't remember? For any of the three accounts? Wow.

So one possible reason was if you were bypassing the logon for Windows XP, the system might be reluctant to save the password. It sounds, though you do not say definitively, as though you are logging on to Windows using your Windows password, making the user-specific portions of the Registry accessible to you.

A second possibility is that your tablet was configured to prevent you from saving these passwords, for security reasons. This can be done by setting a Policy in the Registry. If you are comfortable viewing the Registry, check under HKEY Current UserSoftwarePolicies or SoftwareMicrosoftPolicies to see if you find any relevant-sounding values.

A third possibility is that your profile/account information has become corrupted somehow. You could add a duplicate of one of your accounts and try checking that one (only) to see if it remembers your password. If so, delete the original and re-create the others as well.

Hope this helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes there is and I check it, and as long as the session is curent it remembers but if I close Outlook I am asked to enter the password again.

I have not got a password set at logon.

I have looked atthe registry as you suggest and with the exception of a tab for CLipart (which as a Microsoft URL attched to it) none of the other values are set so I assume that is not it either.

Thank you for that suggestion I tried that without success. In replying to this post I noticed I was aksed for my passowrd again which I think happened before, and I am sure I asked for it to be remembered. I wonder therfore if I have a problem generally with passowrds not just in Micrsoft Outlook. Any further suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter