2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dropdown menus XP (Office XP)

We have a form with many fields of dropdowns (eg *, Y, N, N/A). In Word 97 you could tab to each field and use the U[p and Down arrows to show the dropdown menu and then make your choice by typing the appropriate letter.

In Word 2002, the navigation seems to have completely changed: now navigation is totally only via the mouse as is the menu selection of the choices.

In short in 97 the form could be navigated and populated via the keyword; in 2002 the mouse _must_ be used.

Sorry for explaining more clearly. What is going on? Am I describing the behaviors correctly.

TIA,

Jimmy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dropdown menus XP (Office XP)

It should be possible to use the keyboard to navigate a form. Try using Alt+down arrow to open the list part of a dropdown box (combo box). If you still have problems, please give details.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know what the problem is with your file but Word 2002 still lets me navigate with the keyboard. Can you post a sample file (after removing any not-for-public-view information) so we can have a look at it?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans & Andrew.

I just tried the form (2 copies on 2 different laptops using the laptops' keyboard) so nothing about the keyboard's connections.

On Off 97 I can move from field to field by the Tab key; the up & down arrows don't move to a field. Once on a field, the uo or down key pop the menu up; then I hit Enter and the menu value populates the field.

On Off XP, the Tab, up & down keys move from field to field; the mouse or ALT + up or down arrow, drop the menu down.

BTW, the user can live with the different behavior but I'd like to know if there is in fact different behavior in Off Xp as we are going to migrate the company to Off XP.

BWt, apologies for the double post; after posting the first one, I couldn't find it so I thought I screwed up the process and re-posted.

TIA,

Jimmy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jimmy:
    I just tested in Word 2000 & it works the way you say Word 2002 does (I don't have 97 or 2002 to test). F4 makes the dropdown choices appear on a menu; then the arrow key works. The right & left arrow keys work the same as up & down. Too bad; it would be nice to have more choices. Microsoft changes some of the key combinations with each new version. To see a list of almost all of them (but not the keyboard behavior for forms), press Alt+F8. Change the 'Look in' box to Word Commands & then scroll for ListCommands (you can type Li in the box to get there faster). Then run the command. Word will create a table in a new document with all the keyboard shortcuts.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't have Word 97 to test a form on but in Word 2002 you can navigate forms by
    <UL>Right or Down Arrow - moves to next field
    Up or Left Arrow - moves to previous field
    Spacebar - toggles a checkbox
    Alt-Down Arrow - expands a dropdown box (then up/down arrow keys to change selection, then Enter key to apply the selection and collapse the dropdown)[/list]My fading memory tells me it was 'always' this way but I am more than prepared to accept that Word 97 did things differently. I don't know of any way to change this behaviour so I think your users will need to adapt to the new way - its pretty minor compared to the other changes Word 2002 will force them into.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia