Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook won't load (OL2000)

I have a friend who was given a PC (2GHz, WinXP Home, clone). He added his MS Office 2k software and everything looked like it loaded successfully. Afterward he loaded Netscape 7.1 (he develops webpages and needs both IE and NS). Soon after that, his Outlook 2k won't open. When he clicks on Start|Outlook, XP says it needs to install Outlook, and then begins trying. However, the install gets a few seconds into it and then begins the install all over again....this keeps up until you hit cancel....at which time a MS Outlook X message pops up that says, "Cannot start MS Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook." We have attempted a reinstall but to no avail. We have removed MS Office entirely, and reinstalled, but still no good. We have changed all instances of MAPI to a bak extension and applied Fixmapi.exe. When we reinstalled MS Office, Mapi dll's return, but still no good. Anybody have any idea what's going on or what to do about this? I've used OL for years, but have not seen this one before.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook won't load (OL2000)

I am reminded of similar Netscape/Outlook problems - but theye were too long ago for me to reconstruct them accurately.

Does your friend need the fulll Netscape suite - including the mail client? From the sound of it, perhaps not.

There may be some form of unseen mail cleint side effect from the Netscape installation. In that case, perhaps Netscape 7.1 could be uninstalled and Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 could be installed in its stead. Mozilla Firebird is the browser only component which adheres to exactly the same interpretation of W3C standards as Netscape.

HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could have them try running FIXMAPI.EXE in the windowssystem (or system32) folder. The error text is quite on target but the behavior and DLL involved are the same. It could be that the NS install put down a diferent version of mapi32.dll...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My friend upgraded to Office XP....the problem has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts.