New Lounger
    Thanks

Web sites blocked (IE6 SR1)

I have IE6 running on Windows 98SE using a wireless connection (D-Link 650+ wireless card to D-Link 614+ router). I am trying to access site www.hp.com but always get a "The page cannot be displayed" response. Since I have an HP computer, I really need to access this site frequently. When I go to my other computer connected to the same router with an ethernet connection, the HP site comes up normally. I have checked my security settings- there is nothing in my restricted sites list. I have even tried puttig the hp IRL in my trusted sites list, but that did not work either. Is there another place in IE6 where sites can be blocked? Do you have any other suggestions for me? Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Web sites blocked (IE6 SR1)

Hi Bruce--

I would've linked you to specific KB's to narrow your search, but there are several IE6 "Page Can't Be Displayed" articles (10 in the first 12 on this list) that might apply with a little more information. This is a common problem for a variety of reasons--one or two of the KB's may even have a special hotfix available if you call MS--but at the top of the list on this link are several you can take a look at:

IE6 Page Cannot Be Displayed MSKBs

Another solution often posted is that if you are using a certain software firewall like ZA or Norton Personal Firewall in Norton Internet Security, you might tweak in the Options and list HP's site as a favored site. I've run accross that with only a couple but it happens and is worth a try with your particular firewall.

If none of these KB's or the suggestion helps, please let me know.

SMBP

Thanks

What if you try accessing the site using an IP address? http://161.114.22.79/

If that is more successful, your wireless computer might have a DNS problem. If the problem is limited to www.HP.com, I would be suspicious of a hosts file. Look in your c:windows folder for a file named hosts (no extension) and see whether it has any values in it related to www.hp.com. If the problem affects other web sites, too, perhaps your network settings are just a bit off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Belated thanks for your help. I used KB Article 241344 that outlined several steps. I cleared all non-essential cookies and it seemed to help. I can now reach the site. I did check for other or altered host files. However, there were not any. So, I will keep watch on the cookie file.