2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt PST files (Outlook 2000 SR1)

Hi there,

I have a couple of PST files that have been burned onto CD to back them up. I am having some difficulty getting access to this file.....I have copied the file from the CD to my hard drive and have removed the Read Only attribute.

When I try to open it up in Outlook I see a message about "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" followed by...""The file - blah - is not a personal folder file". It is a personal folder file and it does have a PST extension.

I have tried running the scanpst utility on the file, it finds errors and I have asked it to be repaired - which it promptly does. This then allows me to open the pst file in Outlook, but there are absolutely no email messages - even though the file is 29MB in size.

I have also tried to run the utility for pst files above the 2G limit - but I receive an error about this not being a Personal Folder File.

Anyone got any other ideas that I can try - needless to day that it is imperative that I get access to these emails...

Thanks

Lauren

Thanks

Re: Corrupt PST files (Outlook 2000 SR1)

It seems from the ScanPST results that the file has "issues." Is it possible that the recovery process placed the mail in a different folder, or that there is a peculiar view preventing you from seeing the messages? Depending on how imperative the message access is, I imagine that there are PST recovery services that have more detailed knowledge of the file structure and might be able to extract the messages. Actually, what happens if you try to import the messages into Outlook Express (after attaching the recovered PST to Outlook)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt PST files (Outlook 2000 SR1)

Oooh, there's an idea - I've only tried to view the file in Outlook. I'll give Outlook Express a try!

Thanks!