Star Lounger
    Thanks

eCompact And Repair (Access 2000)

I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, but I thought I would post it anyway.

I have a database on a network and because of the volume of data input I compact and repair the database almost daily. It seems since I have switched over to Windows XP, every day after a compact and repair I need to reset the .mdb security properties? Is there a way of avoiding this?

Thanks for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: eCompact And Repair (Access 2000)

I presume you are referring to the Access User Security properties - if not, please repost. If you are compacting the database from itself, you shouldn't loose security settings unless you are doing so from an unsecured .mdw file. Is your database split into a front-end and a back-end? If not you would see a number of benefits. You might also consider using the Compact on Close option for the back-end database, which will clean things up automatically when the last person disconnects from the database. If any of this isn't clear, or doesn't apply, please add a new post with the details.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

If you right click the unopened database icon and then select the properties menu, then select the security tab and set the permissions for administrators for groups or user names. This is where I reset these permissible settings after a Compact and Repair.

I could set up the Access User Security properties however User Groups with permissions have already been set up over the network for other types of DB's. We found that with employee turn over it was easier to handle multiple databases this way.

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try setting security at the folder level then, instead of at the file level. When Acces compacts and repairs a database, it creates a new compacted database, then deletes the original, so the compacted database is in fact a different file than the original one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks I will try that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As Hans suggests, the file level permissions should be set at the folder level so that compacted databases inherit the correct permissions. HOWEVER - any one who is allowed to do any editing of data must be given full read/write/delete permissions in order to make changes. Which means that anyone who can edit can go in and delete objects from the database, unless you specifically prevent them from doing so with Access User Security. I just returned from a visit with a client where someone had activated replication on a database thinking they were doing a backup, and now everyone gets an error message when they go in and try to use the database, and they were using the NTFS permissions file permissions to avoid using User Security.
    Wendell