New Lounger
    Thanks

IE6 Non-response to second PDF file (IE6 SP1)

I have IE6 SP1 running on WinXP Pro SP1 all fully patched. When I try to access a web page on my own hard drive with links to two PDF files, clicking on the first link starts Adobe Reader and displays the document as one would expect. Then I click the IE6 Back button to return to the web page. Clicking on the link for the second PDF file results in the URL being inserted into the address bar but the browser does not go there. I have to left click in the address bar and hit Enter or click on the Go button to the right of the address bar. Then the second document is displayed properly. This same thing happens with the second choice no matter which of the two links is selected first.

I thought one of the recent Windows Update patches might be the problem so I uninstalled Security Update for Windows XP (KB824146) but that didn't change anything. Then I uninstalled Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824105) but that didn't help either. In both cases, I reinstalled Adobe Reader 6.0 after each uninstall since the uninstaller warned that Reader 6.0 might not work correctly after the uninstall of the Windows patch.

I have used SFC and that didn't help. I also reinstalled Acrobat Reader 6.0 with no help. The web page displays fine on my Win2K SP3 - IE6SP1 machine and my Win98SE IE6SP1 machine.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate the thought of reformatting!

Regards,

Seymour

Thanks

Re: IE6 Non-response to second PDF file (IE6 SP1)

The reader control that displays PDFs in the browser window seems to have little bugs of one sort or another in every version. I doubt it's IE or Windows that is the problem here..., though perhaps it is their interaction with the PDF control.

New Lounger
    Thanks

PDF reader 5 appears to have been a more user friendly and less bug prone than 6. I know several users who have had to switch back to 5 due to printer incompatibility or file opening issues. I use Adobe Acrobat 6 and the Reader 6 plugin and for the life I me I have yet to figure out which will open when!

No two browser sessions are ever the same - even on the same site.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip on problems with Adobe Reader 6. Actually I first saw this non-response problem when I was using Reader version 5.1 and, when I couldn't eliminate it, I switched to Reader 6 in the hopes that it would fix the problem. Obviously it didn't.

Seymour