5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finding a dialog box (XP)

I have been working on this database application and am making some progress (considering I hardly know what I am doing) but now I find that when I open a certain form (that contains two subforms), I am promted for a parameter by a dialog box. I am trying to find this box and disable it but I can't. In looking at the form in the design view, I have checked the properties of the field value involved but don't recognize any query or other instruction to prompt for a parameter. How can I find where this dialog box comes from... & why?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding a dialog box (XP)

You may have to look in unexpected places, such as the Order By property of the main form or subforms, the Link Child Fields and Link Master fields of the subform controls, the row source of combo boxes, etc. Be on the lookout for typos; the slightest difference in spelling can bring on the parameter prompt.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normally when this happens to me, I find that it's an order by parameter in the query behind the form... Sometimes if I make changes to the query after it is initially saved, it holds onto some old information in the query properties...
    First thing I'd do is open each of the queries (the record sources for the main and subforms) and check the query properties to see if there's an incorrect "order by" statement...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trudi - thanks but the forms are based on tables - no queries.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I have checked all the order by properties and they are blank. How woudl I recognize Link Child Fields and Link Master fields? Never heard of these before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the main form in design view.
    Click once on one of the subforms in the main form. Take care not to click on it a second time, because that will select something in the subform.
    Activate the Data tab of the Properties window.
    You should see the Link Child Fields and Link Master Fields properties. They are used to specify how the subform is to be linked to the main form.

Thanks

Another sneaky place that the Parameter box can 'hide' is in the conditional formatting feature. Just a thought.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can try opening each form separately from the database window and see if the parameter request is fired from there.
    This way you can narrow down to the form causing the problem.

Have you edited any of the underlying tables, removed, or renamed fields ?
    Changing a field name from:

My Field

to

MyField (Space Removed) can cause this problem.

I'm sure when you find the offending control, You'll probably kick your self.

I bet we've all had bruised legs many a time. !!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your help. Think I fixed it. I was able to narrow it to the specific form (I have three levels of subforms). There seemed to be no problem with anything. I noticed, however, that the dialog box was asking for a parameter value using a variant of a field name. So.... not knowing any better, I went to the underlying table and changed the field name to match the dialog box. Now, it works and there is no more dialog box. I guess it doesn't matter what the field name is so long as it works. This must of been the result of development work as I was changing things to see how it worked then setting them back to original names.