Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Global Template (Word 2000 SP3)

I have decided to create a global template for the 4 Styles Toolbars I have. I know I have read how to do this, but now I cannot find any information. Charles Kenyon has/had a great website but I keep getting the message that the page cannot be found.

What I have done is create separate templates for each toolbar (Brief, Letter, Memo, and Pleading). All of the styles associated with a specific toolbar are also in the template.

In the "Styles" template, I have a menu button called "Styles" and there are 4 options on the submenu. I have created a macro for each toolbar. This is where I am hung up.

Question: Does the Styles template have all 4 toolbars in it, along with all of the styles regarding each particular toolbar? I have created the styles for the Brief as BrBackLftMrgn, for example.

When I trying using a toolbar, while in the Styles template, the submenus are a mess. I might find the AutoNumbering under Text or something else totally different under one of the buttons.

I need help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Global Template (Word 2000 SP3)

If you stored the toolbars and styles in 4 separate templates (which seems reasonable), you should create a new document based on one of these templates to make the appropriate toolbar and styles available:

Dim oDoc As Document
    Set oDoc = Documents.Add("path_and_filename")
    oDoc.Activate

where, of course, "path_and_filename" should be replaced by the path and filename of one of the templates.

BTW, Charles Kenyon's site www.addbalance.com doesn't seem to be valid any more, but the contents can still be found here (for the moment, at least.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans but I am more confused now than I was before. I have the 4 separate templates with each having all of the styles and toolbar. I then created a 5th template called Styles in which I added a menu button with 4 options that should give the user the toolbar and its associated styles for any document. Does this 5th template have to have all of the toolbars and styles in it? It is in this 5th template that I created macros to the 4 other templates. That is what I did and none of the toolbars worked. What do I have to add to the Startup folder, all 5 templates or just the 4 templates.

As you can see, everything is as clear as mud to me. I have been battling with my styles toolbars for about 2 months and I'm burning out fast.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused too. Do the four templates have different versions of styles with the same name, or does each contain a unique set of styles? Making a set of styles available in existing document would involve associating the appropriate template with the document and updating the styles in the document. If there is no overlap between the styles, you might get away with one template. If, however, there is overlap, you must keep the four templates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The styles have unique names for each individual template. My main problem is figuring out how to have the options for the Styles menu button give me the correct toolbar and its associated styles.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What should happen if a user has selected a toolbar and made a set of styles available, then selects another toolbar from your styles menu button? Should both sets of styles and both toolbars remain available, or should the first set of styles and the first toolbar be removed to make place for the second set?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure which is best. My first vision was to have all 4 toolbars and styles available if so desired. However, there are separate toolbars to accommodate different types of documents (letters, memos, briefs, and pleadings). The Brief toolbar's styles are all in 14 pt where the other 3 are in 13 pt.

I think I would want it so when the user wanted a different toolbar, the previous one would disappear.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Frankly, I don't see why you would want all this to happen for an existing document. It would be much easier to let the user create a new document based on one of the templates. The styles and toolbar belonging to the template would become available in the new document automatically, without any programming. If you want to be able to switch in an existing document, it's going to be messy. You'd have to delete the 'old' styles, with the risk of messing up existing formatting, then copy in the new styles. This involves writing VBA code.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have resorted to a global template because of the problems I was having with updating my templates. For the past couple of months, I cannot guarantee, once I have updated the styles in a template, to be in the document created from the template. I have been unable to convince our secretaries to learn how to create and use styles to format their documents so I decided to do the creation and make the styles available on a toolbar that is in the template.

I have my original templates on a drive where only the IS Department can access. When I have finished updating a template, I copy it to the network templates. This is where my problems began. After I copied to the network, I would log off and back on to test the update. When I open a copy of the network template, the changes I made would not be there. I would also find that the options of a particular button were no longer where they should be. Sometimes the options would be what was available from my Acrobat menu button. I have felt that a global template was the only way to go at this point.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want updated styles in a template to be automatically copied to a document based on that document, you must check the "Automatically update styles in document" check box in Tools | Templates and Add-ins... To set this in code, use ActiveDocument.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True. If the check box is NOT checked, the styles in a document are independent of those in the template; the user can modify the styles in the document independently from those in the template.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jan

Following this thread, I think you are on a hiding to nothing because global templates don't make their styles available to a document. Putting a toolbar in a global template will give you a button which applys a style but doesn't ensure that the style is in the document, nor does it know what that style looks like.

Why don't you want to put both the styles and toolbars in the attached template? What have I missed?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,

I believe I understand what you are trying to achieve; however, I have a couple of questions first:

1. How do the secretaries deal with documents from outside firms? Do they re-format it with your firm's styles or just use the formatting in the document they receive? (This is a really important question)

2. It looks like you supply "all the possible styles" from toolbars. What do they do if the "supplied" style isn't quite what they want?

3. Have you considered upgrading to XP? I tell all of my clients dealing with complex documents (most are law firms) that the benefits of Word XP FAR OUTWAY any problems. Especially when dealing with documents from outside sources. Many of Word XP's changes were made by the recommendation of the Legal Advisory Council. Users outside of the legal profession may not appreciate some of the changes and find some new things annoying in XP - I can tell you in almost every case how the change benefits a law firm.

The use and ease of styles (in a legal setting) is about 100% better in XP! I couldn't convince secretaries to use styles in Word 2000, in XP they're listed in the task pane and are a simple click away (very much like your toolbar idea). Now they swear by them!
    Kris

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The majority of our secretaries do not use the styles in their own documents, even though they are on a toolbar. When they get documents from outside the firm and cannot format them the way they want, I am called and I use styles to reformat them by copying their document into my template.

Beginning next year, we will be moving to the next version of Office. I do not know what it is called but it would be equivalent to Office 11 if XP was Office 10. Our IS Director wanted to wait until the bugs had been worked out of XP before upgrading.

My Styles Toolbars have macros on them, as well. What I have now done is make those macros available globally so they can be used in any document. I thought I could do the same thing with the styles.

Hans mentioned I should make the styles "Automatically Update." I am now so confused that I think I really do not know what I am doing. I also do not tick the "Add to Template" option because I thought that meant my Normal.dot would have the style saved in it.

Here are the steps I follow when I change one of my templates that has a Styles Toolbar in it:
    1. I make the necessary changes in my original template.
    2. I save the template.
    3. I then copy it out to the network and replace the existing template.
    4. I copy the original template to my own hard drive to test it before I make it available to the network. This is when I discover that the changes did not copy over.
    5. The network templates are copied to the users' hard drives by way of a script that looks for the newest date.

What am I doing wrong?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    I can't tell you why your toolbars aren't working, but it seems to me that the approach that your taking is wrong. As Andrew mentioned, global templates do not make their styles directly available to a document. Let me go one step further, an attached template's styles are detached from the document. Unlike keyboard shortcuts, macros, autotext, & toolbars, templates do not make their styles available.

The <font color=red>ONLY</font color=red> way to change a documents styles is to either do so directly (Format/Styles/Modify), by some AutoFormatting setting, or to copy styles from another template or document. While I'm sure it's possible to write code to delete styles, attach another template & then update styles, this seems to be the hard way. You said that secretaries won't learn how to create & use styles. What makes you think they'll use your toolbars then?

The easiest way to get the correct styles for the appropriate document is to create separate templates with the styles in them. In place of the File/New dialog box, you could also create a menu (or toolbar with a dropdown menu on it) that listed the common types of documents. Each entry would be attached to a macro that would create a new document based on the template. When they want a memo, they click on "Memo"; when they want a brief, they click on "Brief". And I wouldn't use "Automatically update document styles" for legal documents. Once a document is written, you don't want the styles & appearance to change. Otherwise, some attorney will be in court trying to explain to the judge why the document he has is an "unchanged" original despite the fact that's it's got five more pages.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I be able to copy styles from one template to another? I ask because I have 2 different memo templates, 2 pleading templates and 4 letterhead templates and what I normally do is make the changes in one pleading template and then copy them to the other pleading template. This was working very well for a long time and then, about 2 months ago, that was no longer working. All of the responses I got from that post did not explain why this suddenly started occurring.

Someone suggested, in the past, that I have 1 letterhead template with 4 options. I do not know how to do that.

Someone had also suggested I create a global template that had all of the toolbars and styles in it so that they would be available for any document.

I resorted to the global template because I would not be changing my original and then copying those changes to another like original template (i.e., Pleading W-Name to Pleading W-O Name).

Actually, because the templates have styles toolbars in them, more secretaries are using them.

I know there are several ways to do everything in Word, but I would appreciate finding out one way that will work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast