New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up email (Outlook 97)

I'm a new user to Outlook with an old version (Outlook 97). Have had it for years and never needed it until now. I'm trying to set up my email address in the darn thing and keep getting this error msg when I try to test it out. "No transport provider is available ..." What does it mean by this? I've got all my settings in (POP3, SMTP, UserID, pswd, etc). What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: Setting up email (Outlook 97)

This usually means there is a problem with the network connection between you and your SMTP server. Are you on a local area network or broadband connection, or are you on a dial-up connection? There is a connection tab (names change from version to version, so it could be called something else) in the Tools>Services>Email Account>Properties dialog that could be relevant.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

did you get the update from office updates?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just want to say 'thanks' to everyone who answered my post. It's been awhile since I could get back here and then, of course, I forgot my password. In the meantime, I installed Outlook 2000 and got it up and running fine. Thanks again! Now on to my next post!