New Lounger
    Thanks

won't print (word 2000,(9.0.6926 SP-3) )

running windows 2000 professional, Gateway AMD Athlon 1200, Epson Stylus Color 900. Have many short items saved that I have to print periodically. Recently they won't print. Screen just blinks. I can't even get out, have to use control,alternate, delete. I have copied, pasted, in new document, it works a few times, then starts blinking again. Have used CD to repair Office, no change. I am thinking about changing to Works--but that is a headache.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: won't print (word 2000,(9.0.6926 SP-3) )

Hi Jeanne:
    Not sure. Have you tried going to Add/Remove Hardware, removing & then adding the printer. Also, if you look at these documents & go to File/Print.../Properties, is it set to use the correct printer?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have done all the common things. Anyway, if I copy to new document, then it prints AND some letters always print. I just created 4 new letters and they have all printed twice. These are short notes I have been printing for a long time. i.e. Employee info on a child support check. The only odd thing I have--recently when I start computer, I get "Error locating TrayNotifyWnd". I don't know what this is, cannot find in Windows Knowledge Base--I don't even know if it is Windows. I could use help with that, if anyone knows what it is. But the printing is a real problem.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jeanne:
    I'm afraid I couldn't find anything either. Maybe someone else can jump in. Sorry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

TrayNotifyWnd is the class name (the "technical" internal name used by Windows) of the "notification area" or "system tray", the area in the right-hand side of the Windows task bar that can contain the clock, and all kinds of icons depending on what you have installed, such as the sound volume control, asnti-virus software etc. I don't know what causes the error message you report, you might ask about it in the Windows forum for the version you are using; I doubt that it has anything to do with your printing problems, unless it signifies more general Windows problems.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 03-Oct-03 14:26. One more Q)</P>Can you confirm which way you are printing?

[list=1]<LI>Open document in Word, then either

<UL><LI>Click toolbar icon to print entire document immediately to the current default printer; or
    <LI>Using the File>Print... dialog

New Lounger
    Thanks

I use file-print, out of habit. I tried print on menu bar, it did it, too. The date does change in the things I print. I have all the PDF, but really need to fix this--before it gives me even more trouble. The items that blink are the top line with name of document and the bottom tray, name of document only. It is doing something new, I think. I don't think it was doing this earlier. Now after I do control,alternate,delete--after I click task manager--behind task manager screen, the print screen comes up, on top of item I'm trying to print and I can print from it (ignoring task manager). It is possible it was doing this before and I was so frustrated, I just deleted & went out. I do not have print problems in any other program. Main other programs I print from are Quick Books and Excel. I use Screen Shot, also, it works. I can print from internet.

Thanks

Okay, this is starting to sound familiar, but I don't remember the fix. You choose File>Print (or click the Print icon, and rather than open in front of Word, the dialog opens behind Word. To access the dialog, try using Alt+Tab (hold down Alt, then press Tab and work through the icons on whatever that little dialog is called that comes up until you get to the print dialog). Hopefully someone else will remember the "real" fix.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to MSKB article Title Bars Flash, Word Becomes Unresponsive, or Word Cannot Close, the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office can cause this behavior. The plug-in can be disabled without compromising security. The MSKB article contains a link that gives more information.