Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Converting WP 5.x to Word Document (Word 2002(Office XP Pro))

Using Word 2002 with Office XP Pro and Win XP Pro.

Downloaded documents and had to use the "Open with dialogue box" on rt. click because they won't open. This informs documents are "Word Perfect 5.1". When I tried to open with Word, it said I didn't have the latest converter, so I went to the Office download site, where there is one new Office Converter said to apply to Office 97 through 2003. I did not have any prior converter installed, and I installed it successfully:

Office Converter Pack for Office 97 through 2003 (the Latest)

In installing this, it insisted on uninstallig the components of Office 2003 Beta 2--no problem there I can easily reinstall them, and after I uninstalled them, it installed no problem. I still get the same error message. I asked Word help and it gave instructions on "Troubleshooting Encoded Files" which I don't think applies here because Word just won't open the doc, I'm not seeing garbled text or question marks as the answer suggests. It's cure is to go to Tools>Options>Gen. Tab> Check "Confirm Conversion at Open" box and to select other encoding and I tried with and without this done. Still same message. Word is supposed to automatically detect the code standard in a text file, and I'm fairly sure the problem is I need to convert a Word Perfect 5x doc.

Would appreciate help.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting WP 5.x to Word Document (Word 2002(Office XP Pro))

Is it possible to post one and have us give it a try?

Have you tried the "recover text from any file" option in Word? In the open dialog box - choose this from the files of type drop-down.

Thanks

Try this:

1. <LI>Rename document with a .doc extension so you can open more easily in Word.

<LI>On the Tools > Options > General tab in Word, make sure Confirm conversion at open is checked.

<LI>Try to open the document. If Word finds that it is not native Word format, it will display the converters dialog. Choose WordPerfect 5.x from the list.
    Now, if you get an error message, what exactly does it say?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Kris.

What I have is (don't know the best term for this) the kind of "stripped icon" you see when you can't open a file. I have Baxbex's Open Expert it defaulted to, but I hadn't fully read up on using it, so I switched it "off" or out to get the "Open With" dialogue>went to Word. I did try the "recover text from any file" option,--it came up on help-- a couple times, but it seems geared to when you're seeing "gibberish" or question marks or something in language you can't translate to words.

What I'm getting is the error message, and word won't open up to any kind of background on which text would normally be--it just stays grey the way it is as it's opening up.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson--

I had tried checking that box before--prompted by Word Help. Situation #1 shown below is when I rename to .doc and check the box. I get that top error box with the label "1".

Situation #2 is when I use the "open with" dialogue box and don't rename, then I get the pulldown with Word Perfect .5X pre-selected for me, and when I try to open Word it won't open fully but I get the gray you can see imaged in the background and the error message with the label "2."

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I've never seen this message about old converters. This could be a feature of Office 2003 that wasn't sufficiently erased from your system.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like a very good bet-- and come to think of it, I've had documents in Word Perfect format--and others that were displayed with no problem in Word 2002. Curiously the installer insisted on "uninstalling" components of Office 2003's Beta before installing that new converter. Some websites that have years old files and documents will have Word Perfect files for download. I'll have to look at the Resource kit and concentrate on making sure all the Office 2003 is really out--probably one of many situations where I thought I "uninstalled" a program and in fact didn't.

SMBP