New Lounger
    Thanks

Variable to store text (2000)

Hi,
    I have a 50-page word document. The name of a person appears on the top right corner of each page. All pages have the same name. If the name is misspelled and I correct it on the first page is it possible for word to correct the name on the rest of the 49 pages automatically. I have been using the replace command. Is there an easier way? We type several documents in this manner can I use some type of variable that would solve my problem on documents I type in the future.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Variable to store text (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 03-Oct-03 10:45. to add addendum at the top)</P>Hi Justin:
    Addendum: After posting this answer, I reread your question. Depending upon your formatting, it might be possible to delete all the names in the top right corner, place the name in the top right corner of the header. It would then appear on every page. Try this on a copy & if it works, ignore the rest of this post.

The short answer is probably, "No". I suppose that you could figure out all possible misspellings of the word & then use a complex Find/Replace operation. But quite frankly, I don't think you can figure out all possible misspellings. Also, if you're too general, you'll find other words in the document that will be considered a misspelling that aren't (e.g. Joan & Jones).

The way to handle this after the fact is with Find/Replace, as you've been doing, or with spellcheck. And you'll have to use your best guess to "find" each misspelling. Using wildcards might help. Another thing you can do is add the name to a custom dictionary & do a spellcheck. Make sure that under Tools/Options/Spelling tab that you DON'T check "Suggest from main dictionary only" or "Ignore words in uppercase". If it's essential to correct each misspelling, I'm afraid you're going to have to proofread it.

To avoid this in the future, insert the word in the document in the first place it should be & make sure it's correct. Then select the name & go to Insert/Bookmark. Give the bookmark a name. Wherever it's to appear after that, use a {REF} field. To do that:
    1. Press Ctrl+F9.
    2. Inside the brackets, type the bookmark name.
    3. Press F9 to update the field.
    Note that you can't type the brackets; they must be inserted using Ctrl+F9. To insert the REF field easily, make it an autotext entry.
    Hope this helps,

Thanks

I agree with Phil's suggestion to put it in the header. If you need it to integrate with other portions of the page, for example, to appear to be part of a table on the page, there are some tricks you can do with the margins to avoid a gap between the table in the header and the table in the body (it involves putting a minus sign before the top margin setting, what I've learned to call an "absolute" margin, though I'm not sure this is its real name). It might take some experimentation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, here is a really low-tech answer, but if for some reason you can't use a header, although I don't know why you couldn't, you could insert a document property field. For example,

File->Properties->Summary

put the name in one of the fields, you are not using.

Then wherever you want that name to appear, choose Insert->Field, scroll down to the DocProperty field, click on it and then choose whichever field you used. Then if you have to change anything about the name, you go back to File->Properties and change the information there.

To update it in your document choose Edit->Select All (or Ctrl+A) then press F9.

Just one other option...

Jeanie