New Lounger
    Thanks

multiple versions of word (2002 aand 2000)

I just got a new computer that has Word 2002 on it. Can I install my Microsoft Office 2000 Premium on my new computer? I use Word 2000 at work and would like to have the same version of Word to use at home. I just wasn't sure if it is ok to have two different versions of office on the same computer.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multiple versions of word (2002 aand 2000)

You can, but be sure to install them into different folders. But you must install them in order, Word 2000 first & then Word 2002. And note, when you use one of them & then use the other, you will get a message about repairing (or installing, I forget). This is so Word can change the association of *.doc, etc. files from one version to the other.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

So I should un-install Works (which includes my Word 2002) which came pre-installed on my computer? Then install Word 2002 (from MS Office 2002 Premium), then re-install Works? By separate folders, you mean I should not let it install MS Office Premium to the folder that the software specifies, I should re-name it? ...Should I let Works install to the folder specified by the software? I hope this makes sense to you, I think I understand, but I just want to make sure. A thousand thank-you's!!!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 is installed by default in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice, and Office XP in a different folder: C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10, but I don't know where Works wants to install Word 2002. Just take good note of the folders proposed and intervene if the same folder is proposed for both versions by selecting a different name the second time. Don't rename a folder after an application has been installed in it, it will confuse Windows.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't had an experience with Works, so I don't know the effect. However, in your post you only mention 2002, not Word 2000. I don't want to advise you incorrectly. If you have Works 2002 & Word 2000 premium, I don't know what else comes with Works & whether it will affect anything with Office 2000 Premium.

You always want the latest version installed last because there can be some system files that are different & you want the latest version installed.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I un-installed Word 2002, then I installed Office 2000 Premium and changed the name of the folder it installed to, then I re-installed Word 2002 and let it install to the folder the software chose. It seems to be working fine so far.