New Lounger
    Thanks

Section breaks become page breaks... (2000)

Hello,

I have a word doc. A portion of it has columns and column breaks. This section ends with a section break.
    When I select and paste this entire section (generously selecting above and below) and paste it to a new document, my section break becomes a page break.

Since I am writing a program to do that, it is most annoying.

Does anyone know under what conditions this can append ?

I have attached the guilty file. If you select from beginning to "Phones listed at this address" and paste to a new doc, the magic appens...

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section breaks become page breaks... (2000)

To be more precise, the last continuous section break becomes a next-page section break. This behavior, however confusing, is by design; it will occur if the page setup of the receiving document is different from that of the last section break in the copied text. There can be only one page setup on a certain page, therefore Word changes the continuous section break into a next-page section break.

It is not so easy to get around this. The page setup for the last section in the source document is contained in the last paragraph mark, In order to copy the page setup, you would need to copy up to and including the last paragrapht mark, then paste into the new document.

See MSKB 238124 about continuous section breaks turning into next-page section breaks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section breaks become page breaks... (2000)

If you go into File/Page Setup/Layout tab in the target document & change the type of break from New Page to Continuous, you won't get the behavior that you describe. You can copy & paste all the way up to, but not including, the page break in the document.
    Cheers,