Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Critical October 2003 IE Patch Released (IE6 SP1)

On October 3, Microsoft released 828750 a very critical (according to the web) patch and you may have problems if you haven't installed a previous patch 811630. This is an object type vulnerability. A vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not correctly determine an object type that is returned from a Web server in a pop-up window. If you were to visit an attacker's Web site, the attacker could exploit this vulnerability without any other action on your part. An attacker could also create an HTML

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Critical October 2003 IE Patch Released (IE6 SP1)

If you're curious, Woody already had something to say about this patch 10 days before it was released, and I expect he'll have some more with his next issue:

Woody's Windows Watch September 23, 2003 Volume 6 No. 21 It's Baaaaack...

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Does the Secunia test rely on popups NOT being blocked (say, by Google Toolbar 2.0)?]

I ask because I just tried the test, and it says that I've already applied the patch for MS03-040, which I shall be doing in five minutes' time!

Later... Having applied the fix for MS03-040, the Secunia test now presents me with a Download window... Which is the exact opposite of what was supposed to happen, isn't it?

Incidentally, it looks to me that Microsoft is going to have to increase the size of the IE6SP1 Help => About window, because there isn't much room for any more fix names!!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was computerless for 2 days until a little withdrawal set in. Seens like a pandora's box. I hit the test link before I downloaded the patch (which I got because it was rated as so critical (incidentally the predecessor necessary to have is not uninstallable but the critical patch is). The test loaded a page, saying I was vulnerable. Now after having installed the patch, when I "do" the test it wants me to download a test. I didn't but I probably will just to see what it does.

I think what might be happening is that the google toolbar 2.0 might interfere with the window that opens which does not look like a popup but a new IE window.

Microsoft may have to distribute trailors or provide panorama vision to house that "Help>About window" at the rate they're going.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was computerless for 2 days until a little withdrawal set in. Seens like a pandora's box. I hit the test link before I downloaded the patch (which I got because it was rated as so critical (incidentally the predecessor necessary to have is not uninstallable but the critical patch is). The test loaded a page, saying I was vulnerable. Now after having installed the patch, when I "do" the test it wants me to download a test. I didn't but I probably will just to see what it does.

Microsoft may have to distribute trailers or provide panorama vision to house that "Help>About window" at the rate they're going.

SMBP

SMBP