2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No CD found AND Cmos goes blank. (XP Home)

Suddenly both my DVD player and CD-RW have become unavailable. They show up in the device manager with the Yellow triangle. there fore no installation CD can be used to install the drivers. I can uninstall from the device manager only to have them found but not installed with each reboot.

I do have web access and all other programs seem to be running OK. Current virus scan show clear.

Simultaneously I wanted to check the CMOS and as I hit the delete key to bring it up, the screen goes blank and the setup screen never appears . It may be that the CMOS is actually there since ESC and F10 will continue the boot process but there is a blanks screen. I can't set the boot sequence, I can't reinstall windows without a cd player .... Wahhh Wahhh....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: No CD found AND Cmos goes blank. (XP Home)

I don't understand why it's not loading Microsofts Generic Drivers for them. Are you telling it to update the Drivers.
    Other wise you will need to go online to the Manufacturer Webb Site and download the Drivers. What Model and Brand is you DVD and CDRW drives?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboy,
    Nor do I understand. It is actually interesting that the page for one set of drivers is under construction and the other says use Windows XP drivers. I have uninstalled from the device manager. Both devices are found an identified correctly during the next reboot but the drivers, when loading come corrupted .
    So it seems the next step would be to reload the drivers from the XP DIsk or to download them. Do you know the filenames of the XP generic CD/DVD drivers?
    Gaddy

Banned Member
    Thanks

Put the WinXP CD in and then go to Device Manager and select Update Drivers and point it to the CD and it will find them for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remeber -- CDs not working. But it's a nice thought
    That's why I need to find the files and download them from somewhere for installation.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Woops, I forgot. Well dang.
    I don't understand why you can't get into CMOS.Have you checked the CMOS battery?Hope your Motherboard ain't going south.

Have you tried F8, and at setup screen choose " Last Known Good Configuration"?

And have you checked Internal IDE connections to your Devices?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The CMOS solved itself bizarrely enough by turning the LCD monitor off and back on. It had not been off in weeks. Why that was a problem may never be known. One of the top 892,456 mysteries of the cyber world.

I guess will will create a 3.5 inch XP boot disk with CD support from another computer and reinstall the OS. I am sure there must be other anomalies.
    Thanks
    Gaddy

Banned Member
    Thanks

Also you might try unplugging them from the IDE and Power Connections and then reconnect them and reboot. I have a feeling something ain't right on the Inside. Maybe even a power problem.

Banned Member
    Thanks

By the way, What type CDRW and DVD-ROM do you have? Model and so forth. I bet I can find the drivers online, I do it all the time because I build, repair, and upgrade Computers.