5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy-Command in Bat Files (XP PRo (SP1))

I'm not sure why but I'm having trouble with the command line. I discovered it while trying to write a batch file. 'Copy' is not recognised as a command in the run box. I typed: copy /? and got the message below. Could this be anything to do with environment variables (I think I remember Big Al helping me out with this once). I can copy by drag and drop but I'd like to automate copying of certain files with a batch file.

Thanks

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy-Command in Bat Files (XP PRo (SP1))

You state that
    <hr>'Copy' is not recognised as a command in the run box.<hr>
    That is correct, you shouldn't type it into the Run box but into a command prompt window. Select Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt, and try there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to copy a file from the Windows Run box as a single command, you have to specify the executable (CMD.EXE) then the command you want to execute, using the /c switch. Example:

cmd.exe /c copy C:Text1.txt C:Text2.txt

Executing this command from Run box will copy a file named Text1.txt in C: root directory to a file named Text2.txt in same location. The Command Prompt window will briefly open, execute the command, and close again. Note: If used, the /c switch must appear immediately before the command string. Any other command line arguments for CMD.EXE must precede the /c option.

Note that CMD.EXE is the new command shell introduced in Windows NT. Do not confuse it with the primitive MS-DOS COMMAND.COM command shell program (which is still to be found on WIN XP systems).

HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both. I was confusing the run box with command prompt but the tip to include the CMD.EXE command in the run box looks very promising. I also realised with the batch file I was making that the command I needed was xcopy.

All the best,

Chris