New Lounger
    Thanks

system font oddity (Windows XP sp1)

Recently, I've encountered a strange behavior in Windows XP in that whatever font the system uses from the menubar to display additional characters i.e. the checkmark, the filled right bracket (arrowhead) and the filled bullet have now become the astrological crab symbol (code 0x61 Wingdings), a computer mouse(code 0x38 Wingdings), and a pair of wavy lines (code 0x68 Wingdings), respectively. I've not been able to find the correct symbols in the Wingdings font, so I can only assume that there is another font that the system uses, but is not currently available. Can anyone shed any light on what the correct font might be and how to correct this?
    thanks, dave olson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: system font oddity (Windows XP sp1)

The font Windows uses for the check mark etc. is Marlett.ttf. This font file is hidden; you won't see it in Windows Explorer, but you can search for it (Start | Search). It should be in C:WindowsFonts. If it is missing, see if you can find a copy somewhere else on your hard disk; otherwise you need your Windows XP CD-ROM. Select Start | Run..., type msconfig and press Enter. Click Expand Files... and look for Marlett in the i386 folder on the CD-ROM. It should be expanded to C:WindowsFontsMarlett.ttf.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! That was exactly the solution to my problem. I have no idea as to why that font disappeared from the windowsfonts folder, but it wasn't there and after I replaced it and rebooted, things were back to normal. Thanks again for such a fast resolution,
    dave olson

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This used to be a standard question in Windows 98 forums, where someone had presumed that MARLETT.TTF was a font which could be deleted because they'd never come across it before...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...