5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macromedia & Hallmark E-cards (IE 6. WIN XP PRO)

A friend likes to send Hallmark E-cards. Hallmark is now saying that you have to have Macromedia 6 to view their cards. He has downloaded and installed Macromedia 6 but still has problems viewing the Hallmark cards. He says he can view them without a problem using Opera 7.0. I tried on my system and had the same problem. Using Internet Explorer, the cards would not open or play. Using Opera, they did just fine. What makes the difference?

Thanks

Re: Macromedia & Hallmark E-cards (IE 6. WIN XP PRO)

I'd guess this is a Hallmark error... IE pages invoke the Flash player using an OBJECT tag. I think Opera (Mozilla) does not user the OBJECT tag. I guess you could check this by viewing source for the page... or posting a link here.

Thanks

Re: Macromedia & Hallmark E-cards (IE 6. WIN XP PR

Hi, Trebor ~

Your best bet and I highly recommend and personally prefer the stand-alone Flash Player.

Download here, put the executable in your 'Program Files' root or wherever you choose to tuck it away. Now all you have to do is point a file to it and associate and you will never have this problem again nor will it ever be accidently deleted from 'Downloaded Programs' directory.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Bruce! I recently downloaed Flash 7 -- and for some reason I cannt figure out, it no longer works for local .swf files. There is not even an icon in the flash.ocx. Did Macromedia eliminate the local use of Flash??

Jefferson - If trebor is talking about an embedded Flash ActiveX object, then the OBJECT tags and I beleive the MIME Content Type all play a role. However, if these are locally run .swf files, then trebor may be having the same problem that I had! We need more data...

Thanks

Hi, R2 ~

I have seen a lot of what you are saying on people's systems with the new Flash 7 and do not see it in the DPF. Macromedia says that it should be the same play locally, but others have had the same problem. I think there was a change as far as where the object component is stored as is the case with shockwave/director items. The stand alone player is the best way to handle these files plus you get the added feature of creating projectors for those who do not have or want the Flash components native to their system.