5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Drives? (XP PRo (SP1))

Hello, I have a number of small partitions (around 8GB each). I'd like to copy the data from one partition to another using a batch file. I'd like one partition to exactly mirror another. What is the most efficient way of doing this? If I use xcopy and I've deleted a folder on the source disk then that folder will remain on the target disk. I wondered about using format to 'clean' the target disk before copying but since I'm using NTFS it prompts for a label. It also prompts for formating the drive. I'd like to avoid the prompts and d it automatically. I wondered about using del *.* on the target disk but this seems to take much longer than doing a quick format. Is there any series of commands to get one drive to mirror another that I can write in a batch file?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Drives? (XP PRo (SP1))

There are two programs that I would consider for your requirement:

ROBOCOPY.EXE from the large number of Server 2003 Resource Kit tools
    XXCOPY.EXE which has more switches than you could ever imagine possible

Bother of these have options to "mirror copy" one drive onto another, after the first time copying only the changes (that is additions, updates and deletions). I use both, but mainly the former since it's "free" for corporate use, whereas XXCOPY isn't.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Drives? (XP PRo (SP1))

Thanks for the recommendations. I've actually ended up using Karen's Replicator. I discovered that this can save a shortcut to a replicating job.I have some jobs that do incremental backups and other jobs that mirror complete drives. Here's the link for anyone that's interested:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Thanks again,

Chris