New Lounger
    Thanks

Uneditable paragraph markers (XP)

I am editing a large file in which I have endnotes (i.e.,'footnotes' listed at the end of the paper). I have discovered that a large number of 'empty' paragraphs have been added to my file (they are visibe when I press the button to display non-printing characters. About four empty paragraphs were added to each of my Headers and Footers, and there are also blocks of empty paragraphs below each Header and above each Footer in my section of endnotes - meaning that my endnotes are confined to a block in the middle of each page. Clearly I entered some strange formatting by mistake, though what I did I have no idea.

I have managed to get rid of the paras from the Headers and Footers simply be Viewing Headers/Footers and manuually deleting the paragraph marks. However, I can't see how to get rid of them from the endnote listing. In Print View the paras are greyed out in the same way as a Header or Footer. When I select View Header /Footer they become black, but I cannot select them to edit them (as, obviously, they are not Headers or Footers).

I have text boundaries displayed on screen and these empty paragraphs are not regarded as part of the text area (and the cursor jumps straight past them).

Any ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uneditable paragraph markers (XP)

Hi John:
    From your description, it sounds like they are in the Endnote Separator box.
    1. Switch to normal view.
    2. View Footnotes.
    3. Use the dropdown arrow to switch from "All Endnotes" to "Endnote Separator".

You should be able to delete them from there.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uneditable paragraph markers (XP)

Thanks very much. That's exactly what it was. Somehow, three empty paragraphs had been inserted into the separator, the separator continuation mark, and the separator notice. It must have happened at the same time as they got put into all the Headers and Footers. (Probably one of the perils of inexpert typing on a laptop keyboard (Control key too easy to hit by mistake)!

Thanks for the help.