2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Formulas (XP)

How can I get the result of a formula to update automatically when a value is changed?

Thanks

Re: Table Formulas (XP)

As far as I know, Word does not automatically update Field values when you change a related value in a document. You can update the target field by clicking in it and pressing F9. If "real-time" updating is a critical feature, Excel might be a better tool. Macros could be written for Word, emulating Excel's updating, but I think they would be inefficient (i.e., monitoring for every change in the Selection...).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you do decide to use Excel tables, but need the result to update automatically in Word, you can copy & paste link the result cell from Excel into Word. When a link field (the result of paste linking in Word) has an "/a" switch in it, it updates automatically. Unfortunately, you can't use an /a switch directly in a Word formula field, so you have to use this roundabout route.
    Cheers,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve. I hope this example will assist.

The attachment is a form which is locked. To unlock it, chose Tools - Unprotect from the toolbar. In this form I inserted fields. By double clicking on a field you can see the properties. Look at the fields in the amount column. Then look at the properties of the total field $0.00. It is a formula =Sum(f2:f22). If you put in amounts they will automatically update the Total.

The formula =Sum(f2:f22) is arrived from 6 columns ABCDEF and there are 22 rows. The fields for adding up commence at 2 and end at 22.

Lock it up again to make it work.

Hope this is useful.

Kerry
    Attached Files Attached Files