3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments to email (Outlook XP)

I have a form created and code written to loop through a contact folder and send an email if a contact's criteria matches what is selected in the initial form. One of the options in my form is to attach a file. This all works until the email gets to about 100 items then I get an error message which says:
    Can't create file: <filename> Right-click the folder you want to create the fine in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.

If I "debug" from here, and just continue running the code, it works fine. I have tried putting some type of pause using the following with no luck.
    mynewtime = Second(Now())
    mynewtime = mynewtime + 2
    Do Until mynewtime = Second(Now())
    Loop
    This seems to hang up sometime.

Is there a way to identify the temp files being created and delete them as I go? Have you seen this problem before? Any other suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachments to email (Outlook XP)

Darryl, a couple of left-field ideas.

1. Can you save the form after each attachment is added? (Or maybe after each 'nth' attachment, and the last.) It will slow the process down, but it may release the temporary files.

2. Depending on the version, out-of-the-box Win 2000 & 2002/Outlook 2000 & 2002 has an issue with Temporary Internet File space limitations; for an explanation and a cure see <!mskb=249793>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 249793<!/mskb> & <!mskb=296115>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 296115<!/mskb>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is nothing to save as it relates to my form. In fact, I have released it before I get to this problem. My form captures information, then passes variables back to my code. My code uses different forms to send the messages based on who the email will be from. (Can't set the from field programmatically so I have created separate forms for each of my senders.) So there is nothing to really release.

I tried setting a different temp folder as specified in the KB article. Unfortunately to no avail.

I have caused the problem to pause every 30 items for 4-5 seconds, and this doesn't seem to help. (I couldn't find a pause feature though. Is there one I missed?)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I can't help much. I assumed that the form is a custom structured e-mail message, and that you would be able to save it as the attachments were added, before you actually send it. If the e-mails are separate from the form, have you tried saving them after attachments are added but before sending?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried saving before sending ... same result. Totally frustrating. I am going to have to figure out logical separators in my contacts to start/stop looping through so that I don't send more than 75-90 emails at a time.

Thanks for your suggestions.