Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot access Google (6.0)

HAve read a couple of posts on this problem but nothing helps. Have not been able to get Google to search for a few days. Earlier I had trouble accessing the net and reset some settings and that helped. What goes?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot access Google (6.0)

Fran--

This is reflex but run AdAware, Spybot, Delete TIF's and off line content. You seem to be describing two problems. Earlier you couldn't access the net and "reset some settings." Which ones? What operating system? Have you gotten any error messages at all--and if look in Event Viewer about the time you have the problem and see if there is any useful error message info there. Also it couldn't hurt to run the System File Checker tool and might help.

Also what happens when you ping google and run the "tracert" command? At the dos prompt type "ping www.google.com" and after that type "tracert www.google.com"

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've been reading some threads on this problem, and in several of them some 3rd party download or software install seemed to cause this by changing an entry on the "advanced" tab of IE Tools>Options and the 3rd party program caused the entry "Use TLS 1.0" to have it's box unchecked, and checking it helped. However, I use google all the time via a shorcut and I also use the google toolbar and I have this item unchecked. What happens when you download the google toolbar to add to IE's toolbar?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fran--

I think if you run one of the anti-Hijacker programs like Hijack This! you might pick off something that hijacked you're ability to access google.

What happens when you put either of these two IP addresses (for Google) in the address bar?

216.239.53.99 and 216.239.53.100

Using Anonymizer to hide your IP address is a solution that worked in this case:

My 5 Days Without Google

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fran:
    What are you doing to access Google? Are you typing in a URL or clicking a link? What exactly happens?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fran--

One additional step I left out that might help is to Tools>Options>Delete Cookies.

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Have downloaded Spybot, HiJack,and Adware. Running XP Home. Deleted tif's, and checked appropriate boxes on settings for net. Downloaded google toolbar and resinstalled it. I can ping google with the number above and get the homepage and search function. My regular search funtion from IE, not google, will not work either.My problem is using the google toolbar, typing in search target, get message cannot access page. May try restore and go back in time and see if that does it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just went back in time, restore, about a week and now google works normally. The only new action I see is if I go to google history and enter that search data the finds appear instantly. Maybe I should stop here. Use AVG and it didnot catch whatever jammed my system.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fran--

If you figure out what jammed your system, please let me know. I appreciate the detailed followup--it's always a puzzle when you are having trouble accessing one or a very few sites. It also makes me think of this IE thread on Java Script Blocking although I could not find the corresponding setting in either NIS or NSW/NAV that mark4man changed.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it is worth, I had the following expierence. I had not been able to do a Google search from the Google IE Toolbar v 2.0.95 for days now. I read this thread and downloaded HijackThis, just to see what came up. After I ran HijackThis, I got a message based on the enormous amout of entries I had which said to delete the contents of "C:Windowshosts" file. I did this and rebooted my system and voila, everything works. I hope this helps someone in the future.