Star Lounger
    Thanks

documents won't open (WORD 2000)

This problem is driving me nuts - whenever I double click on any word document WORD just boots up blank! I've gone to Microsft Technet and they admit it being a problem but don't show how to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: documents won't open (WORD 2000)

1. Check the default action for opening a document from Explorer:
    Open Windows Explorer.
    Select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the File Types tab.
    Locate and select Microsoft Word Document (*.doc)
    Click Edit...
    Select Open... (it should be bold, indicating that it is the default action; if it isn't, select it and click Set Default)
    Click Edit...
    You should get something like the attached screenshot (except that the path to the executable is different, since I'm using Word 2002)

2. Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (12.4 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply....problem still exists and followed your recommendations explicitly....any further ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One more thing to try. The following assumes that Word is installed in the default location; if not, adapt the paths accordingly.

Make sure Word is not running.
    Click Start | Run...
    Enter "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWinword.exe" /u and press Enter. This "unregisters" Word from the Windows Registry.
    Click Start | Run... again.
    Enter "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWinword.exe" /r and press Enter. This "re-registers" Word in the Windows Registry.

If this doesn't help, try Help | Detect and Repair from within Word.

If that doesn't help either, I'm stumped. If others don't come up with a bright idea, you may have to uninstall Office completely, then reinstall it...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing I would mention is that in Word 2000 (Hans has Word 2002), the application to perform action will be:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWINWORD.EXE" /n

Note that there is no /dde switch in Word 2000. From your replies, I take it that you tried starting Word from the command line with
    winword.exe /a

Does this happen whether or not Word is already running when you double click from Windows Explorer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help....I tried the suggestions and when I put in the switches I get an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an associate in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is very strange. The steps that has mentioned to unregister & reregister Word should have taken care of this. I'd try this. First, make sure you have a picture of the dialog box in the post above.
    1. In any open folder window, choose View/ Folder Options.
    2. On the View tab, make sure show all files is checked & OK your way out.
    3. Go back to the File Types tab & scroll to Microsoft Word Document. Make sure it lists the extension as doc (see attachment).
    4. Delete the Open action & OK you're way out.
    5. Go back in & scroll to Microsoft Word Document. Create a new action called Open & use the browse button to make it point to winword.exe as in the example above. Make sure you add the /n.
    6. OK you're way out.

I'm assuming that you also tried the Repair feature in Word previously. If this doesn't work, you might have to reinstall Office.