Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Message Service popup (recent)

A client who recently purchased a PC with Windows XP (Home Edition) continually receives an unwanted (as if any are wanted) popup message while connected to the Internet (via Netzero). The message text varies, but always refers to sites that supposedly can get rid of popups. The window is an instant-message type window, not a new IE window. I believe the title bar reads "Messenger Service" or "Windows Messenger." Clicking "OK" or "X" clears the message.

The client does not use any instant message software; never has, never will. I believe I have disabled messenger service software through the Control Panel. The client does not use Outlook or Outlook Express.

Where does this come from and how do I stop it? "Help" and the MS knowledge database has nothing on this that I can find.

Is this controlled via IE? If so, I cannot find any reference to it. Can anyone here help?

Much thanks,

- hmc

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Message Service popup (recent)

I have a friend in the US who has XP Pro - with AT&T as ISP - who is reporting similar problems.

I should add that I helped her configure the machine when she acquired it, and I accept her assurance that she has not attempted to reconfigure it.<UL><LI>She does not use Outlook Express<LI>Messenger Service via Outlook has been disabled.<LI>The Group Policies applet has been been set to disable the starting of Windows Messenger both at the User (there is only one account) and at the Computer Configuration level.[/list]Like you, I should be grateful for any input (on her behalf).
    Gre

Thanks

Try this to disable Windows Messenger.

Windows XP Professional
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Administrative Tools
    Click Services
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Windows XP Home
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Or check this site Messenger

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As Bob says, Windows Messenger has become a favorite spam delivery mechanism--blow it off unless you have the special situation that needs it--notifying other people in an enterprise of some event using it:

How can I block those annoying Windows Messenger Service spam popups?

How You Can Be Affected By Windows Messenger Spam--the Continuing Popup Saga?

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Terrific. I think that did it. You folks are great. Much as I work at it, there is just too much to know and too little time.

(Why in the world doesn't Microsoft default this to disabled, and let network administrators enable it, if they need it????)

- hmc