Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player

I'm running XP and WMP 9. I have autorun enabled. Some audio CDs will start playing when they are loaded into the CD ROM drive. Other CDs (more recent purchases) won't play until I open Windows Media Player. Is this a change in the manufacture of audio CDs or ? Thanks. crownvic

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Media Player

Many people seem to have this problem. Does the following help?

- Open This Computer or Windows Explorer
    - Right-click the CD-ROM drive and select Properties.
    - Activate the AutoPlay tab.
    - Select "Music Files" from the dropdown list.
    - Click the "Select an action..." radio button.
    - Click "Play Using Media Player".
    - Click "Apply".
    - Just to make sure, repeat for "Audio CD" from the dropdown list.
    - Close the Properties window.

Note: I am using the Dutch language version of Windows, I may have made slight mistakes in translating captions back into English.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did as you suggested and even added "Music CD" as an option, but when I insert the audio CD, it still won't play on its own. Only if I open Windows Media Player first. And you're doing fine with the translation from Dutch to English.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I can't find anything specific about your problem (some CD's are played automatically, others aren't). Anyone else?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I just stuck the Technet DVD into my XP Pro box, and it didn't automatically "play"/start... Don't know whether that is relevant?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Crownvic--

I emailed your question to a member of the Win Media Player Development team for WMP9 and future WMP's whose day job is to work with Win Media and WMP for Microsoft. His answer was that any CD should be the same as to Auto Play. Auto Play is System Functionality--Windows just registers for it.

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP's reply in <post#=301408>post 301408</post#> implies that there has to be a difference between the CD's. Some recent audio CD's contain bonus material that is only accessible on a CD-ROM player - a video clip, or an interview with the artist, for example. Windows would detect this and classify the CD as "mixed content" instead of as "music CD". Could this be an explanation?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Depends on how the CD was made -- data first or audio first -- I suspect.

This FAQ is just superb that I have to recommend it any time I can:
    CDR-FAQ

New Lounger
    Thanks

The strange thing is,my CD for the sound track of "Notting Hill" starts right up playing as soon as the CD ROM drive engages and plays in Windows Media, but my new CD of Brooks & Dunn's "Red Dirt Road" won't play until I open Windows Media first.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I will pitch the contents of this thread to the Windows Media people and see if I can't get a more complete explanation of what's happening and why here. I haven't had a problem with mixed media auto-playing, but I have seen some of these CD's with extra media on like interviews with the singer and videos added stop in the middle between the interview Christina Aguilara (first and the music later). This sounds like a plausible explanation.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Crownvic--

I don't have these two CD's--do they have any mixed media clips like Hans referenced--interviews, or a video clip? Does Notting Hill have anything from the movie or Brooks/Dunn interviews, ect.?

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another way to investigate this is to look at the "Table of Contents" file on the CD. This would list the files that are on the CD's. IF this interests you, I can refer you to programs that can do this.

[Can you just open the CD with Windows Explorer and see the contents of the CD?? I don't know for sure...]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It interests me and I'd appreciate links to them, because I have noticed trouble with some of these mixed interview or video CD's I have and ripping and trying to kill the screen of the vido clip so I could get the ripping done and I have noticed consistent problems with the CD's that have interviews and videos when otherwise I can do just about anything else WMP9 does flawlessly.

I tried a little experiment which was to round up several CD's with mixed media (interviews or videos) and rip them. All gave trouble such as screens with the video that didn't want to kill and error messages. A typical one was with Bond's Remixed Click in the Bond name and you see the CD on the left. Inserting this and trying to auto play or rip with WMP crashed at first, gave the error "cdsplash.exe" error will close WMP now sorry for the inconvenience. It took several minutes to get the error message off the screen for whatever reason, and I couldn't kill it with Task Manager. The sound was choppy forseveral minutes and the video had trouble playing and froze. I reopened WMP when I finally got it closed and was able to rip to the hard drive. In fact the ripping had been going on in the background and worked fine--it was just getting rid of the screen and the error message.

From what I can tell, I think this KB is directly on point to the issue and I'm debating whether to hack the registry (I have Cable) and I probably will with a key export and restore point:

253798: Windows Media Player May Stop Responding or Generate an Error Message When Streaming Media

I was not able to find this specific error using the file with .exe or .dll affixed. Besides Google and the MSKB I searched the

Windows Media Player Error Code Page

I used one of my favorite tricks to stop the crash in its tracks and kill the "Windows will now close sorry for the inconvenience without telling you a thing about why except giving you the dll so you can look up the error message if you're lucky." I put up Task Manager>Applications>New Task>explorer.exe and killed the Windows error message but it took several tries and a trip to Explorer to knock out the second box with the error message.

I think there are going to be continued problems with these and WMP(interviews and videos) particularly when copy protection gets stronger andevolves if it's allowed to.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Turns out Notting Hill isn't the actual sound track, it just has the "music" from Notting Hill movie. And the Brooks & Dunn CD has no extra interviews or whatever. If I go to the drive in Explorer, it shows the ".cda" files for Notting Hill. My ".cda" files are set to open with Windows Media Player. I've opened up the properties for the CD drive and clicked on AutoPlay. Set both the Music Files to Play using Windows Media Player and Music CD to Play audio CD using Windows Media Player. I must have done something really strange because now none of my audio CDs will play automatically. Have to open Windows Media Player first. Sure open to suggestions. crownvic

New Lounger
    Thanks

Inasmuch as none of my audio CDs will now autoplay, do you know how I could get back to Windows Media Player version 8? When I was running version 8 I had no problems. I think it must be something with the version 9 that is causing the trouble. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast