New Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Acrobat Reader (Professional)

I'm running XP Professional and have downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader 6. Supposedly it is installed, but when I go to the 'net and try to open a text document it tells me it can't find the plug-in for Adobe Acrobat. I'm running IE. How do I get Adobe Acrobat as a plug-in for IE? Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader (Professional)

Did you have a earlier version running when you installed version 6?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

From Adobe Reader 6 Help (since v.6 this product is "Adobe Reader", not "Acrobat Reader"):

To set browser and Internet preferences:

Choose Edit > Preferences, and select Internet in the left pane. (You can also choose Preferences from the document pane menu.) Set the following options and click OK.

Display PDF in Browser (Windows only)

Displays any PDF document opened from the Web inside the browser window. If this option is not selected, PDF documents open in a separate Adobe Reader window.

Check Browser Settings When Starting Reader

Checks your default browser settings for compatibility with the application each time the application is launched.

Allow Fast Web View

Downloads PDF documents for viewing on the Web one page at a time. If this option is not selected, the entire PDF file downloads before it is displayed. If you want the entire PDF document to continue downloading in the background while you view the first page of requested information, also select Allow Speculative Downloading in the Background.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I didn't have an earlier version installed - I deleted them unfortunately. I just have 6 installed now. I've tried what kaplinb suggested in their post, and everything was already set up and they suggested.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked and everything was already set up as you suggested. I still cannot get a "pdf" file to open in IE.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Crownvic--

Take a look at this thread on installation of the reader including Post 266062 and try installing without using the Adobe Download Manager.

Installing Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Thread Lounge Software Finds

While there are added features probably rarely used by the bell shaped curve of population in AAR 6.0, it also is much slower to load and sometimes runs and sucks CPU and a number of people have to invoke Task Manager to kill the process.

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't know whether this is appropriate for your situation, but we discovered -- in a similar sounding situation -- that once you started Adobe Reader "standalone" with their installed icon and accepted the licensing stuff, Acrobat would open as intended.

IOW you need to agree to their licensing terms first.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have discovered if I open Adobe Acrobat Reader from the desktop, then go to the 'net or wherever and open a "pdf" file it will open. But, if I don't have Reader already open, and I try to get a "pdf" file it tells me it can't find "Acrobat Reader". So at least I'm able to open a "pdf" file. I'm wondering, if I add Adobe Reader to my Start Menu, will it then run in the background and enable me to then open a "pdf" file whenever I click on one? If so, how do I add Adobe Reader to my Start Menu?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crownvic:

I suggest following the advice in the thread pointed to by SMBP above.

BUT ... if you stil want to start Reader with Windows, my startup menu (Win2kPro) is in cocuments and SettingsUserNameStartmenuStartup. Copying a shortcut to that location will start that app when Windows starts.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe reader installed to my start menu>programs list by default doing the install the way I said in the linked post above by making sure not to put a check in the box to use the "Adobe Downoad Manager Netoptions" so possibly you're onto something there--why not give it a try to get it on the start menu--I can usually drag a shortcut to any start menu area from the desktop? Does Adobe show up in your Programs menu? It's in my programs list and the folder is E:ProgramFilesAdobeAcrobat 6.0. You can try dragging it to your start menu and if that doesn't help why not uninstall it--takes only a minute and reinstall it leaving that check out of Adobe download manager which I didn't notice as an option in prior versions of Adobe reader?

One minor annoyance that Dave A. said he didn't have on that linked thread was that if I use the Reader I have to go in to Task Manager Processes often not always and check to see if Adobe is still running in the background because it can slurp significant CPU in the background. I wonder if anyone else reading the thread notices when they run Adobe 6.0 Reader?

Ed SMBP: You could also try copying to the shortcut folder as Dick suggests, but I've been able to make any shortcut function by dragging it to the start menu from anywhere as long as I could find it, and you can also drag a shortcut from your programs menu to start if it appears there. The Adobe folder has to be either in your programs file on the drive you installed it to or on your programs list or both.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Couldn't resolve the issue with Reader - did all the things everyone suggested, but did solve it all by installing Adobe Acrobat 4.5. It includes Reader and works where the version 6.0 of just Reader won't. Thanks for all the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

As I just sent a reply to another member, I was only able to solve the problem by installing Adobe Acrobat 4.5. It includes Reader and it will work. The Adobe Forum has a lot of people with the same problem, but Acrobat 4.5 is the solution. Thanks for all your suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. Only way I could solve the problem was to uninstall Reader 6.0, and install Adobe Acrobat 4.5 (it works and includes Reader). Must be some sort of glich in the 6.0 version of Reader because there are a lot of individuals even in the Adobe Forum that are complaining about pdf files not opening in IE and Netscape. But thanks again.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do notice 6.0 Reader is slower to load because it has more to load than previous versions--I also have to chk. to sometimes end it when I've closed its page.

SMBP